Is It Illegal For A Legal Adult To Cuss Out A Legal Minor?

Portland, OR |
Filed under: Business

I am 18 and my now ex is 17, I cussed her out on FaceBook because she cheated on me. Is it illegal to cuss at a minor?? Her parents know that I cussed her out....

No, it is not illegal to use profane language to a minor, without more. (It may be a violation of Facebook's terms of service, but that is not a crime.)

In general, if you'll forgive my going a bit further than was asked, there is no good reason to remain 'friends' with a hostile ex-partner on social networking sites. People today seem to have this weird idea that Facebook is the arbiter and forum for all social relationships. It's really not. Facebook is a privately-owned town square. Everything you do there is public and permanent, and it's not required for communication. If you can't deal with your ex-girlfriend with equanimity - if you don't want to see regular public reports from her - it's perfectly proper to remove her from your list. Certainly more proper than cursing at her - there's no way that can accomplish anything good.

For more thoughts on this, I recommend Dan Savage's advice - especially this sort of thing:

Please read the following notice: <br> <br> Jay Bodzin is licensed to practice law in the State of Oregon and the Federal District of Oregon, and cannot give advice about the laws of other jurisdictions. All comments on this site are intended for informational purposes only, and are not intended to constitute legal advice, create an attorney-client relationship, or solicit business. No posts or comments on this site are in any way confidential. Each case is unique. Information not contained in these posts may create significant exceptions to the advice provided in any response. You are advised to have counsel at all stages of any legal proceeding, and to speak with your own lawyer in private to get advice about your specific situation. <br> <br> Jay Bodzin<br> Bodzin Donnelly Mockrin & Slavin, LLP<br> 2029 SE Jefferson Street, Suite 101, Milwaukie, OR 97222<br> <br> Telephone: 503-227-0965<br> Facsimile: 503-345-0926<br> Email:<br> Online:

Nothing illegal about "cussing someone out," especially online.

It is not illegal, but could be a violation of Facebook's rules.

We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I have made do not constitute legal advice. Any statements I have made are based upon the very limited facts you have presented, and under the premise that you will consult with a local attorney. This is not an attempt to solicit business. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am only licensed in California.

Business topics

Recommended articles about Business