Is it illegal for a husband to change a wifes airplane ticket?

Dayton, OH |
Filed under: Divorce

My mom and my dad are divorcing but she wanted to visit him for his birthday. instead she got served at the airport with papers and he changed her flight. also, the papers say that she has to respond to the agreement in 20 days but there's nothing to agree to? no disclosure of assets? but mainly, is it illegal for him to have changed her reservation to an earlier flight when she paid for the tickets?

Until they are separated and have divorce action pending their assets are joint, (that is they are both of theirs). Who paid for the tickets is immaterial.

If husband had used wife's ticket for his own use (for a mistress for example), wife might be able to claw back the value of the ticket as part of the property settlement portion of the divorce.

It sounds like your mom needs to get a lawyer though as it appears there is much she needs to learn about divorce law. These situations are very volitile and often need the cool head of a professional. They also depend heavily on facts and the ability to capture and proove facts within the Rules of Evidence.

Below are some articles this author has published here.

This answer contains information intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above and may be protected by attorney-client privilege or work product doctorine. However, the mere receipt of this answer, alone, is not sufficient to create an attorney-client relationship. If the reader of this is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, any dissemination, publication or copying of this answerer is strictly prohibited. The sender does not accept any responsibility for any loss, disruption or damage to your data or computer system that may occur while using data contained in, or transmitted with, this answer. Should the reader have any questions please feel free to contact Attorney Kotler at or 330-777-0065 Thank you and please indicate if you found this answer and / or the link(s) helpful.

Ronald Lee Burdge

Ronald Lee Burdge

Todd is right about needing to get a lawyer and his links to more info are terrific. If he can't help you because of the distance, maybe he can recommend someone for you to talk with. Call him. Todd clearly knows what he is talking about.

Ronald Lee Burdge

Ronald Lee Burdge

I really like Todd's answers. He is precise, to the point and highly accurate and practical.

Recommended articles about Divorce