Is it illegal for a husband to change a wifes airplane ticket?

Asked over 2 years ago - Dayton, OH

My mom and my dad are divorcing but she wanted to visit him for his birthday. instead she got served at the airport with papers and he changed her flight. also, the papers say that she has to respond to the agreement in 20 days but there's nothing to agree to? no disclosure of assets? but mainly, is it illegal for him to have changed her reservation to an earlier flight when she paid for the tickets?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Todd Bruce Kotler

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Until they are separated and have divorce action pending their assets are joint, (that is they are both of theirs). Who paid for the tickets is immaterial.

    If husband had used wife's ticket for his own use (for a mistress for example), wife might be able to claw back the value of the ticket as part of the property settlement portion of the divorce.

    It sounds like your mom needs to get a lawyer though as it appears there is much she needs to learn about divorce law. These situations are very volitile and often need the cool head of a professional. They also depend heavily on facts and the ability to capture and proove facts within the Rules of Evidence.

    Below are some articles this author has published here.

    This answer contains information intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above and may be... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,744 answers this week

3,168 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,744 answers this week

3,168 attorneys answering