Is it illegal for a family member to dispense medication to other family members in their food or drink without their knowledge?

Asked over 1 year ago - Saint Paul, MN

Someone outside a family gives a member in a family (ie, Jane) medication without a prescription and instructs her to dispense the medication to others in her family by putting it in their food and/or drink without their knowledge on a daily basis. Jane is paid or given an incentive to do this and is told that it is "fun" to do, fun to watch their reaction (physical or behavioral) to the medication and is not against the law. What are the ramifications if the medication is aspirin, a narcotic such as Risperdal or Jane has no idea what drug she is giving her family? What if the drug side effects include: insomnia or drowsiness, temporary loss of vision/hearing/breathing, heart palpitation, slurring of speech, memory loss.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Drake Daigoro Metzger

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Jane's actions potentially have very serious criminal and civil ramifications. Based on the facts presented, Jane needs to stop whatever she is doing immediately.

    Nothing in this response constitutes legal advice. Doyle Hance, LLC does not represent you nor has Doyle Hance,... more
  2. Matthew Thomas Majeski


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Yes, this is potentially criminal behavior with serious consequences. Jane would be well advised to stop immediately.

    Disclaimer: This email message in no way creates an attorney client relationship between Majeski Law, LLC and the... more
  3. Malosack Berjis

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Jane better stop what she is doing or find herself a criminal defense attorney.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now