Is it Illegal for a doctor to deny you treatment because you can't pay?

Asked about 1 year ago - Mount Carroll, IL

I lost my job and insurance when I went to the doctor he suggested I go to a specialist and he would set up the appointment. When I called to find about the appointment they asked how I was going to pay and never set up the appointment because I couldn't pay.
Since that day I ended up in the ER for the reason I was suppose to go to the specialist for.

1. Judy A. Goldstein

2

1

Best Answer

Answered . It is not illegal for a private physician to deny treatment to someone who cannot pay just like it is not illegal to deny treatment to someone who has no insurance or insurance that the physician does not accept.

2. Tatiana Kadetskaya

1

Answered . It is not illegal to deny treatment in this situation.

3. Christopher Edward Ezold

Pro

1

Answered . I am an attorney licensed in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, and the States of Delaware and New Jersey. My practice includes employment, business and health care law. Before I respond to your inquiry, I must state that we have not spoken, I have not reviewed the relevant documents and facts, and I do not represent you. Therefore, my discussion below is not a legal opinion, but is informational only. Finally, my discussion applies only to issues to which Pennsylvania, Delaware, New Jersey or Federal law applies.

That being said, a private physician in a non-emergency situation has no obligation to provide services for free. Even if health care was a right in the United States, it would be a right you could enforce against the government - i.e. the government would have the obligation to provide free health care - and not a private individual.

/Christopher E. Ezold/