Is it illegal for a 19 yearold to date a 14 In New York?

Asked over 1 year ago - Mamaroneck, NY

My boyfriend is 19 and I am 14 . We haven't done any sexual activity or had sexual intercourse. We kiss and hold hands. But he turn 20 in June and I don't want him to go to jail

1. David Ivan Bliven

Pro

5

Answered . The short answer is yes because you are underage. Depending on the exact sexual act performed, it is either a misdemeanor or felony. Your "agreement" to the relationship will not be a defense to his prosecution. As such, you are best advised to hold off on sexual relations until you are of the age of consent (17).

2. Jeffrey Bruce Gold

Pro

4

Answered . Ok. If you and your boyfriend have sex before you turn 17, he will be committing statutory rape: a crime for which he will have no defense, and which will likely result in him going to jail (since someone who knows you will find this as gross as I do and turn him in). Once in jail, it will become known that he is a child rapist, and he will be subjected to truly cruel treatment from those he lives with, since they have 14 year old daughters and fill find his conduct gross, and when he comes out he will be labeled a sexual predator and will never be able to hold a decent job. If you don't want him to go to jail, say goodbye and don't see him until you turn 17.

3. Joseph A Lo Piccolo

4

Answered . It could be depending on how far it goes. Sex with you before 17 is a crime for him

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
    Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

4. Arkady Bukh

Pro

2

Answered . It is illegal for him to have sexual relations with you before you turn 17 years old.

5. Richard C. Southard

Pro

2

Answered . There is a law in New York called Endangering the Welfare of a Child under Penal Law 260.10. It states that a person is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor, when:

1. He or she knowingly acts in a manner likely to be injurious to the
    physical, mental or moral welfare of a child less than seventeen years
    old or directs or authorizes such child to engage in an occupation
    involving a substantial risk of danger to his or her life or health...

I would think that almost all parents of a 14 year old would try to have the 19 year old arrested using this statute. Best thing to do is wait until you are older.
    Richard Southard
    212-385-8600
    I am a former Deputy Bureau Chief with the Brooklyn District Attorney's Office who has been specializing in criminal law for over 16 years. I offer free consultations by telephone, in-office or by video-conference.