Is it illegal for a 14 year old to date a 17 year old in the state of Washington?

Asked over 3 years ago - Ocean Shores, WA

I am a 14 year old girl who is dating a 17 year old boy. Now I am trying to find out if there is a law on this or not. Cause I dont want to do anything illegal and the n he gets sent to jail or prison.

1. Thuong-Tri Nguyen

Answered . The unofficial text of Chapter 9A.44 RCW (Sex offenses) are at http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9A.44 .

As far as I know, the "Rape of a child" and "Child molestation" statutes in WA have not been changed in many years and there are no pending changes.

RCW 9A.44.079 (Rape of a child in the third degree) provides: "(1) A person is guilty of rape of a child in the third degree when the person has sexual intercourse with another who is at least fourteen years old but less than sixteen years old and not married to the perpetrator and the perpetrator is at least forty-eight months older than the victim."

RCW 9A.44.089 (Child molestation in the third degree) provides: "(1) A person is guilty of child molestation in the third degree when the person has, or knowingly causes another person under the age of eighteen to have, sexual contact with another who is at least fourteen years old but less than sixteen years old and not married to the perpetrator and the perpetrator is at least forty-eight months older than the victim."

If certain pictures or videos are taken, there may be violations of other statutes, especially federal ones.

If by "date", you mean simply going to malls, movies, and other outings, as long as your parents do not object, there are no violations of any statutes. It's the sexual stuff that is subject to the law.

Moreover, there are many Native American areas. Those areas may have different laws.

2. Christine Marie Heckler

Answered . In Washington, a person is guilty of rape of a child in the third degree when the person has sexual intercourse with another who is at least fourteen years old but less than sixteen years old and not married to the perpetrator and the perpetrator is at least 2 years older than the victim. Rape of a child in the third degree is a class C felony.

A person is guilty of child molestation in the third degree when the person has sexual contact with another who is at least fourteen years old but less than sixteen years old and not married to the perpetrator and the perpetrator is at least 2 years older than the victim. Child molestation in the third degree is a class C felony.

"Sexual contact" means any touching of the sexual or other intimate parts of a person done for the purpose of gratifying sexual desire of either party.

DISCLAIMER: This answer is provided as general information, which may not be appropriate for the specific facts of your particular situation. No attorney-client relationship has been established based on this limited communication. You are advised to consult with an attorney in your jurisdiction before taking any action or inaction that may affect your legal rights. www.hecklerlawoffice.com