Is it illegal (against FDA policy) to scratch off the lot number of a product you consume (vitamins, supplements)?

Asked 12 months ago - Morristown, NJ

The manufacturer is closing distributors that are selling below minimum advertised pricing so they are tracking down violators by cross checking the lot numbers. In an effort to protect their identity, the distributor that we buy from is scratching off the lot numbers of product he sells to us. The manufacturer has contacted us threatening that it's against FDA policy and could face legal ramifications if we continue to sell product with scratched off lot numbers. Is this a valid claim?

1. Peter Joseph Lamont

Pro

Answered . I would need more information before I could provide you with a proper response. However, such activity may be illegal. I suggest that you contact an attorney if you wish to discuss your options in greater detail.