Is it illegal (against FDA policy) to scratch off the lot number of a product you consume (vitamins, supplements)?

Morristown, NJ |

The manufacturer is closing distributors that are selling below minimum advertised pricing so they are tracking down violators by cross checking the lot numbers. In an effort to protect their identity, the distributor that we buy from is scratching off the lot numbers of product he sells to us. The manufacturer has contacted us threatening that it's against FDA policy and could face legal ramifications if we continue to sell product with scratched off lot numbers. Is this a valid claim?

I would need more information before I could provide you with a proper response. However, such activity may be illegal. I suggest that you contact an attorney if you wish to discuss your options in greater detail.

If you found this Answer helpful, please mark it as "Best Answer". Your feedback is greatly appreciated. Peter J. Lamont, Esq. Law Offices of Peter J. Lamont 623 Lafayette Avenue, Suite 2, Hawthorne, NJ 07506 Phone: (973) 949-3770 Fax: (866) 603-0471 Toll Free: (855) NJLAW01 (855) 655-2901 www.peterlamontesq.com Additional Offices in New York, Monument, CO, San Juan, PR and affiliates throughout the country. PLEASE NOTE: The above statements are provided for informational purposes only and do not constitute legal advice. Transmission of the information is not intended to create, and the receipt does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship between sender and receiver. You should not act or rely on any information contained on this site without first seeking the advice of an attorney.