Skip to main content

Is it hard to win a case against pregnancy descrimination? does it look like i have a case?

Sarasota, FL |

after I anounced I was pregnant my store manager started singling me out and putting me through a lot of stress. I was told that if i couldn't do the job exactly like everyone else, if i need to sit, if i went to the bathroom a lot I would be put on early maternity leave. I have been constantly reprimanded to the point of tears in front of other coworkers. I have been told by my manager that I am expendable and their are many who can do my job better than me. The last altercation caused me to go on an early leave. The last day I went into work, he reprimanded me again in front of other employees and i had enough I told him i couldnt stay with him treating me like that and i was going on maternity leave I called and let hr know and now everyone i work with has been told im fired but im fmla

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Hi, how long have you been working there? If you have been fired you should certainly talk to an attorney to see if you have a claim.

Generally speaking (this applies to federal law - I don't know if there is a FL specific law that applies) discrimination on the basis of pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions constitutes unlawful sex discrimination under Title VII, which covers employers with 15 or more employees, including state and local governments. Title VII also applies to employment agencies and to labor organizations, as well as to the federal government. Women who are pregnant or affected by related conditions must be treated in the same manner as other applicants or employees with similar abilities or limitations.

My answering this question does not form an attorney-client relationship. Always retain a qualified attorney before taking any action. My office offers free consultations.


If you are being discriminated against because you are pregnant, you are protected under the Florida Civil Rights Act and federally under Title VII. You should contact an attorney in your area to discuss your particular case further. Depending on the specifics, you could have a case.

Employment topics

Recommended articles about Employment

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer