Is it good to use online service for bankruptcy filing in CA?

Asked over 3 years ago - Irvine, CA

Hi, i am in bad situation and looking for bankruptcy filing help. I searched on internet and thinking to use online service from Diy4law bankruptcy service. Is it good to use such online service to file bankruptcy which is important for me. What if I failed to file? How these online attorneys provide help?

1. Robert Jan Suhajda

Answered . I have no idea how difficult your bankruptcy case is nor do I know how good your financial background is. Filing a bankruptcy is fairly complicated. I wouuld contact the Orange County Bar Assn first. They have bankruptcy clinics that could help you. Also, with an on-line service, you will probably not be represented by a lawyer at the 341(a) meeting of creditors or a reaffirmation hearing on your car if you want to keep it. In general, I think it is too complicated for an on-line service to do a good job for all but the easiest cases.

Disclaimer
    Although the above response is believed to be accurate, it should not be relied upon as any type of legal advice because the information provided is incomplete. It is intended to educate the reader and a more definite answer should be based on a consultation with a lawyer. No attorney client relation is formed with me without a written contract.

Good Luck starts with a strategy and a plan.

Robert J. Suhajda, MS,CPA
    Attorney-At-Law
    17721 Norwalk Blvd. #43
    Artesia, CA 90701
    562-924-8922

Former financial auditor and controller. Admitted to US Tax Court, Income Tax, IRS representation, Fiduciary income tax returns, Estate and Gift tax returns,
    Homeowner Association Strategist.

As a strategist, I analyze and integrate the operations, reserve study, budget, and financial statements into a unitary plan for 1 – 5 years, utilizing my experience as
    a former treasurer and vice president of a homeowners' association and corporate
    controller and auditor, to minimize homeowner association dues.

2. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

Answered . I don't know anything about Diy4law or what they charge or whether they are even attorneys, but generally speaking, it is always better to consult with an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction for handling a bankruptcy filing.

3. Kelly Hope Zinser

Pro

Answered . Be careful with an online service. If you cannot afford an attorney, call the Public Law Center (see the link below). The PLC works with the Orange County Bar Association and has a lot of options for debtors without counsel. Also, the PLC really does a great job with bankruptcy cases. If you earn too much to get help from PLC, you should then contact an attorney. Most bankruptcy attorneys have a sliding scale for fees. If you have a simple case, the attorney's fees may be comparable to the online website. I hope everything works out well for you!

Please note that although this answer may provide information concerning potential legal issues, it is not a substitute for legal advice from qualified counsel. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation. Answering this question does not create any attorney-client relationship between you and Kelly Zinser, Shareholder at Olenicoff & Zinser, PC in Irvine, California. For more information on bankruptcy, please see our website.

4. Gerald Lawrence Wolfe

Answered . The details of your situation are unknown to me at this point. However, let me say this... when you have a "medical emergency" it is best to seek "medical" help. Similarly, when you have a bankruptcy related issue, it is best to seek competent counsel.

I would be glad to give you a free consultation.

---

I have been quoted and written about by CBS Marketwatch regarding related areas of law. To see some of these articles written about me and my practice, please visit my blog. See below for the link.

If you find my answer helpful, please click the ‘thumbs-up’ tab below. Thank you.

DISCLAIMER—This answer is for informational purposes only under the AVVO terms and conditions. It discusses general legal principles and considerations and is not intended as specific legal advice regarding your question. This answer does not establish an attorney client relationship.

Attorney Gerald Wolfe
    Law Office of Gerald Wolfe
    19600 Fairchild Road, Suite 295
    Irvine, CA 92612
    (949)257-0961

5. Scott Douglas Jordan

Answered . Since filing bankruptcy can be one of the most important and difficult decisions of your life, I believe you should get to know the person/attorney who is so vital to your financial recovery. The few dollars you may save up front may end up costing you so much more with using a company that is a stranger to you.

Good luck!

6. Theodore Lyons Araujo

Pro

Answered . Be careful. If you own any property at all like a car or house you could end up hurting yourself. In my experience by the time you get through paying for the DIY help there is only a little difference in the price you would have paid a lawyer. Call around in your community and get price quotes. Many attorneys will help you if you have little resources.

Good Luck!

REQUEST: Please give this answer a "thumbs up"(below) if you find it valuable.

Disclaimer: This answer does not constitute legal advice. I am admitted in the States of New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts only and make no attempt to opine on matters of law that are not relevant to those three States. This advice is based on general principles of law that may or may not relate to your specific situation. Facts and laws change and these possible changes will affect the advice provided here. Consult an attorney in your locale before you act on any of this advice. You should not rely on this advice alone and nothing in these communications creates an attorney client relationship. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author only and the fact that he has worked as an Assistant District Attorney; State Supreme Court Clerk; Special Assistant United States Attorney (Hawaii); Assistant Cornell University Counsel or Judge Advocate, United States Marine Corps should not be relied upon to assume that these statements reflect the policy of these organizations.