Is it good to file a uspto federal trademark very soon after the business has been launched in this case a ecommerce website.

El Paso, TX |

Within 24-to 48 hours after launch of ecommerce buisness website.I have a affiliated similar buisness that's is not exactly using the name I'm going to use but sort of twisted it around and even tho its not there buisenss name they are using it on Facebook but "flipped" around for marketing reasons and I feel they will try to trademark under me even tho I have rights.I want to act fast.

15 USC 1051: As long as you are filing in good faith and without any knowledge of why a third party should have a right to use the mark or a reason why you think your mark might be rejected, then you should file as early as possible.

This comment is NOT LEGAL ADVICE. The question asker and any third-party reading this comment SHOULD NOT RELY UPON this comment. Regardless of the information provided in this comment, any reader of this comment should CONSULT AN ATTORNEY to confirm the accuracy of this comment.

Interesting if you want better insight and a interesting case here is link to the case I want to launch a magazine under Reno pulse but I found a buisness using a Facebook called "pulse Reno".There buisness is not even called pulse Reno or Reno pulse but rather PULSE SOCIETY they are like a photo fashion type buisness and they label there photos and advertise as pulse society.They only name there Facebook pulse Reno to optimize and advertise the word pulse and I guess Reno so they can gain a audience in this city.They are not a magazine so even if they have the name I doubt it's federally trademarked can I launch a magazine which is a totally different market anyway and technically I'm different by saying I'm "Reno pulse" also we are not going to do fashion to cause confusion anyway.I will attempt to trademark federally but no time soon. Additional information i notice they are kind of shifting away from the name pulse society or its not advertised alot and rather shifting towards advertising PULSE as that is what i see.So they are advertising buisness as either PULSE SOCIETY AND PULSE.I just see pulse all over there fashion photos. I would like suggestions on if I shoUld just name my buisness Reno pulse mag short for magazine to be a little different and claim I'm a magazine and in that market.BUT THIS IS THE LAST RESORT IF I AM CROSSING LINES.Regardless what name I launch as Reno pulse or reno pulse mag I don't think it matters because I'm going to advertise as a magazine most the time so I doubt I will! - edit

Bruce E. Burdick

Bruce E. Burdick

There is at least some risk, especially now that this is publicly posted for your adversary to see.

It is always best to apply to register your trademark as soon as possible. US trademark laws allow you to apply to register your mark even before you even start using it in commerce. In your case, it appears another party has already started using a confusingly-similar version of your trademark. You are right to be worried about this. And while using your trademark in commerce gives you some rights, registration of the trademark is the best way to give those rights some teeth.
Of course, a better understanding of the facts and trademarks involved here will lead to a better, more complete answer and the best strategy for your business. It is time for you to meet with a trademark lawyer - and fast.

(949) 721-6380 - Of course there's more to it! Plus, we don't have an attorney-client relationship. This brief comment is for information only, and must not be relied upon as legal advice.

Interesting if you want better insight and a interesting case here is link to the case I want to launch a magazine under Reno pulse but I found a buisness using a Facebook called "pulse Reno".There buisness is not even called pulse Reno or Reno pulse but rather PULSE SOCIETY they are like a photo fashion type buisness and they label there photos and advertise as pulse society.They only name there Facebook pulse Reno to optimize and advertise the word pulse and I guess Reno so they can gain a audience in this city.They are not a magazine so even if they have the name I doubt it's federally trademarked can I launch a magazine which is a totally different market anyway and technically I'm different by saying I'm "Reno pulse" also we are not going to do fashion to cause confusion anyway.I will attempt to trademark federally but no time soon. Additional information i notice they are kind of shifting away from the name pulse society or its not advertised alot and rather shifting towards advertising PULSE as that is what i see.So they are advertising buisness as either PULSE SOCIETY AND PULSE.I just see pulse all over there fashion photos. I would like suggestions on if I shoUld just name my buisness Reno pulse mag short for magazine to be a little different and claim I'm a magazine and in that market.BUT THIS IS THE LAST RESORT IF I AM CROSSING LINES.Regardless what name I launch as Reno pulse or reno pulse mag I don't think it matters because I'm going to advertise as a magazine most the time so I doubt I will! - edit Saved

Bruce E. Burdick

Bruce E. Burdick

RENO PULSE may infringe PULSE but may not. See an attorney

Glen Nuttall

Glen Nuttall

Maybe PULSE SOCIETY is moving away from the mark, but it sounds like there are other players in the magazine area that use PULSE. You're taking some real risks here. Somebody with superior trademark rights may shut you down as soon as you are getting successful enough to be noticed. All your branding work would be lost. In my view, now is the time to think through your brand, so that you spend your time and effort building a brand that you can keep.

Bruce E. Burdick

Bruce E. Burdick

Indeed, PULSE is the brand name on the back of Walmart Credit cards. Ready to take them on in litigation?

Glen Nuttall

Glen Nuttall

Bruce, you are so right! With trademarks I wish we could convince people to look before they leap. Alas, falling in love with a mark and using it without getting it cleared first is one of the most common ways people create trademark troubles for themselves.

We advise all our clients to clear and file their marks before any investment is made in support of them. You will undoubedtly spend much more on advertising, marketing, branding and PR than you will having your TM due diligence (see link below) conducted. If a problem arises later it can be devastating.

While you are concerned about this one possible conflicting mark, there may very well be another that has prior use to both of you that have yet to uncover whether that be a federal registrant or a common law user.

I will link you to some helpful general info below and suggest you discuss this over with a lawyer in private. Most of us here, including myself, offer a free phone consult.

Best regards,
Frank
Natoli-Lapin, LLC
(see Disclaimer)

The law firm of Natoli-Lapin, LLC (Home of Lantern Legal Services) offers our flat-rate legal services in the areas of business law and intellectual property to entrepreneurs, small-to-medium size businesses, independent inventors and artists across the nation and abroad. Feel free to call for a free phone consultation; your inquiries are always welcome: CONTACT: 866-871-8655 Support@LanternLegal.com DISCLAIMER: this is not intended to be specific legal advice and should not be relied upon as such. No attorney-client relationship is formed on the basis of this posting.

Bruce E. Burdick

Bruce E. Burdick

Indeed, with a common world like PULSE and a common geographical name like RENO, you are behind the 8 ball even without a conflict. Hope your lawyer can get you to pick a more distinctive mark.

My guess is that you are trying to handle this yourself without trademark counsel. This is a huge mistake. I can tell from your questions and comments that you do not have a sufficient understanding of the law to handle this without legal counsel. Before choosing any name for a magazine (or any other business), you need to retain counsel to conduct a trademark clearance analysis. I did a brief online PTO search and there are two dozen or more trademarks involving the word "Pulse", at least some of which may pose a problem for you. Indeed, I believe you will find that you have bigger problems than the fashion company you discuss. Use of the term "Pulse" in connection with a magazine may end up infringing trademarks owned by other magazine publishers. Your next step is to retain trademark counsel to conduct a trademark clearance analysis---and most likely you will then be choosing another name for your magazine. Next time, you should involve trademark counsel in the process of choosing your name.

Yes you are correct thank you for your help very much im grateful.also where can I find a pto search I really have trouble finding such a search engine thank you very much sir.

Bruce E. Burdick

Bruce E. Burdick

www.uspto.gov upper right corner of the page, click on Search For Trademarks, which will take you to a free and official one. You need to have an attorney doing this. Don't have a fool for an "attorney" and an "attorney" with a fool for a client. Get a real one.

You should ask the trademark attorney that you had clear the name before adopting it. You did do that, didn't you?

That is a garbled mess of a question. I take it there is some 3rd party whose business name you reversed or flipped [like SOFTMICRO instead of MICROSOFT] and you want to know if you should file a US servicemark registration for the business name used to market the services rendered by the site or a US trademark registration for the brand name associated with any good site from your new site. You wonder if the other company might register for your product or service area using "your" reversed version of their name. I think your worry is that they will object to your use of "your" name as really being a use of something so close to their name as to be likely to cause confusion as to source and will claim you are illegally infringing their mark. If it is proven you got your name by reversal of their name, that is evidence that supports their claim and makes you look deliberate. Without knowing the actual names in question, which you should not disclose here, there is no way for us to tell you a specific answer other than you specifically should go right away, today would not be too soon, to see a trademark attorney to see if you need to change names or can stick with the one you have and protect it. You are behind the 8 ball on this already, having not cleared your mark before adopting it.

I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Free advice here is without recourse and any reliance thereupon is at your sole risk. This is done without compensation as a free public service. I am licensed in IL, MO, TX and I am a Reg. Pat. Atty. so advice in any other jurisdiction is strictly general advice and should be confirmed with an attorney licensed in that jurisdiction.

Bruce E. Burdick

Bruce E. Burdick

I see from your comments to others, I had this pegged. See an attorney today.

I would certainly advise you to contact a trademark attorney as soon as possible and fully explain the situation. This will allow you to quickly get advice on the best way to protect your business.

Trademark infringement topics