Is it Florida law that a tenant must pay the first $100 on any repair?

West Palm Beach, FL |

I have reported a leaky disposal to my landlord's property manager. I am being told that a disposal is considered a luxury item & if it cannot be repaired, the landlord can decide not to replace it. I am also being told that I am responsible for the first $100 of any repair on any appliance other than AC, refrigerator & stove. I don't have an argument, as that was stipulated in our original lease (I'd never run into that before, but we needed the rental, so we signed). But the manager is telling me that it is actually Florida law to make a tenant responsible for this "deductible". Is that true? Again, I am not arguing the main point because that's in our lease. I'm just very curious to know if that is an actual law. If not, is it legal for the landlord to insert that in our lease

There isn't a Florida Law that requires a tenant to pay the first $100 of a repair. Your lease agreement with the landlord will dictate which party pays for costs and for what repairs.

This is not to be considered legal advice nor does an attorney-client relationship exist.

2. THe answer lies strictly in your lease agreement/contract. If the tenant is required to cover the first $100.00 it should say so in the contract. Otherwise, Florida Statutes will govern. Have a qualified attorney review your contract to advice. Good luck

3. Well, it is in your lease and so that makes it so. However, there is no law in Florida Statutes that requires the tenant to carry that burden.

I hope you found this response to be of assistance. This response shall not be considered the rendering of legal advise but instead a general response to a general question. While Avvo is a wonderful resource, nothing can be a substitute for an in-depth consultation with an attorney in the jurisdiction in which the law is to be applied. This response shall not be deemed to create an attorney-client relationship, nor shall it create an obligation on the part of the attorney to respond to further inquiry from the questioner.