Skip to main content

Is it fair to a mother (not the father and child) if

New York, NY |

Is it fair to a mother (not the father and child) if she does not want to deal with US family court and give the American father legal rights under US law, she has to give birth outside the United States and prevent her child from visiting the United States before her 18 birthday? The child in question is a US citizen (she is also a Belgium citizen) and has the paperwork issued by the US State Department to prove this. The mother can return to the United States but not her child, is this fair, yes or no? The mother knows that as long as her daughter is in Belgium, US courts can not give the American father legal parental rights, and can not prevent her from taking her daughter back to Belgium. This would even be the case if she lives in the United States less than one mile from the child’s biological father. She lives in the United States because she can earn more money in the United States than in Belgium.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. See prior answers.

    I am an attorney with over a decade of experience in Matrimonial and Family Law with offices in Brooklyn and Manhattan. I have experience in all five boroughs as well is Nassau and Suffolk County. I can be reached any time at 347-289-5886. The opinion expressed in this ad based upon the limited information provided and do not indicate an attorney-client relationship

  2. See my prior answer to your duplicate post.

    * If you found my answer to be "HELPFUL," or the "BEST ANSWER," please feel free to mark it accordingly.

  3. You must choose your partner wisely or you are screwed.

    Good luck.

Child custody topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics