Is it ethical and legal for a lawyer to change billing amounts at the final bill?

Rancho Cucamonga, CA |

My lawyer changed the amounts one year later when the final bill was due. She changed the amount billed to Prepare Petition Nd Order to Show Cause from $250 to $750 and Revise documents and prepare for filing from $150 to $450 with no change in the billing time from initial bill to final bill! This seems unethical and unfair! What should I do?

1. If your lawyer rendered a statement to you on December 25, 2011 which stated a specific amount of time spent on a discrete task on a specific date and then one year later submitted the identical statement to you, except that the fees billed were different, yes -- on those stated facts, if there is not an acceptable explanation, I think you are right to question the final bill. However, those facts seem highly unlikely to me.

When I render monthly statements on account, they are for that monthly period only. Unless I have made a mistake and notice it or it is called to my attention by my client, there would be no reason for me to render a statement for that same period of time one year later. One purpose of regular monthly statements is to state an accurate account between the client and defendant. Correcting a statement one year later is highly unusual, IMO.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

2. It does not make since to me that the bill would be that much different unless the lawyer was doing additional services. You should talk to the attorney about the discrepancy and see if he can adequately explain to you why there is such a difference. If his explanation is unsatisfactory you can ask the state bar to arbitrate the fee for you. There is a small charge for this service. You can follow the link below to find information on the CA bar fee arbitration program.

Every situation is different, it is important to discuss your legal issue with a knowledgeable attorney in your jurisdiction. To schedule an appointment with me please contact me at 800 220-4205 or www.MartyBurbankLaw.com

3. The prior answers are good. You might send your lawyer a letter explaining that this appears to be either a mistake or an unfair practice and asking for comment or correction. If I got such a letter from a client it would get my attention.