Is it estoppel when insurance company first sends you letter with claim number and insured's name, then tells you to disregard

Woodland Hills, CA |

...first letter and provides second letter with another claim number and driver of other car as insured. Then declines coverage. This is a permissive use case. I have never been able to learn owner of car. Settled um claim then filed suit against driver. It is is past two years from accident. I have concern in discovery permissive driver will now say owner of car was name in first letter who the insurance company told me to disregard. I would want to add as a Doe Anyone who owned and gave permission to drive car. If it is person in first letter, are they estoppel from a sol defense?

This is a California case with farmers insurance.

1. Your facts are confusing and not clear. It is unclear how many vehicles were involved in the accident and which claims were settled when you settled your UM claim. You may have no surviving claims. Estoppel usually requires that you take some action to your detriment based upon facts which were falsely represented when you had no way of learning the true set of facts. It is unclear if that doctrine might apply. If you have not consulted an attorney regarding your UM claim and the claims you’re presently asserting, you should do so now.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

2. Consult and hire an attorney to investigate and get to the bottom of this mess.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.

3. It is unclear from your question what has transpired. You should consult an attorney right away to discuss your case.

Marc Lazarus
    www.russellandlazarus.com

4. This sounds fishy. Retain one of the lawyers in your state who answered above to investigate.

5. Consult with an attorney immediately. It sounds like you have a very convoluted situation on your hands.

6. think you have another problem. if you settled um claim, then um carrier arguably has a right to collect back anything you obtain from any other party, especially one who is vicariously liable for the party you claimed was uninsured. Check the policy langauge in the um policy on this.

7. If you settled with your carrier under the UM policy, you very well may be precluded from pursuing your own action against the UM driver. You cannot take any action adverse to your own insurance carriers ability to recoup its losses from the UM. Consult an attorney for your case specifics