Is it ellegal for club owners to by pass me, band mgr. & talk to my band members to play when i refuse a show?

Asked over 2 years ago - San Diego, CA

i've been playing at this club for over 3 years & the owner has a band too. and he goes behind my back offering my members to play with him for more $$ and quit my band.
And when i turn down a date to play cause of the cut in pay he offers , he goes to my players to get them to play anyways behind my back , which cuts me out
call me at 619 288-6936 Daryl

1. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

21

Answered . Generally speaking, unless you have a non-circumvention agreement, the owner of the club can compete with you, including soliciting members of your band.

However, depending upon the facts in your situation, you may have a viable claim for intentional interference with contractual relations and/or intentional interference with prospective economic advantage. Such lawsuits, however, are expensive to fight, and might not be worthwhile pursing unless you are talking about major monetary damages.

2. Bryant Keith Martin

14

Answered . Mr. Chen's suggestions are good. It may be too late, but could you get exclusive contracts with your musicians, or at least the key ones? It may mean more commitment to them than you are willing or able to make, such as regular paychecks even when the band is not playing. If you had such conmtracts, the musicians' union might help. (??) Perhaps you should consult with an entertainment lawyer.

3. Curtis Lamar Harrington Jr

13

Answered . If this has not happened often or more than beyond recently, then the damages may be small. If they are small, it may be time to shore up your contractual relationships with everyone, especially in light of the IRS attack on independent contractors. If the band members are really employee like, and you have them playing all the time, maybe they should be employees.

If they are fungible, you should have arms length contracts with them that obligate them to play any venue established by you exclusively through the contract.

However, beware, if you become an agent, you will need to register and follow agency laws.

You said "quit my band" which is a final verb, and you said "goes" which is a continuing verb. Is it true that people are just hanging out and playing with who they want to?

Some people want to maximize employment and others want to do their own thing. Talk to them and try and find out why they are offered more money without you. Is it because the club owner is selecting them over you for other reasons than money?

You may be at the cusp of being more of an institution/employer and are just now making the transition. Are you going on the road? You going to schedule other clubs? Maybe the guy wants you and your people to be employees of the club.

Possibilities are many.

Good Luck with your examination of your situation and decisions on configuring it the way you want it to be.

4. Maurice N Ross

Pro

13

Answered . I would need to know many more facts before advising you but one thing is clear---if you you did not have written agreements with the club owner and/or your band-members, you will have great difficulty pursuing claims. While it is possible that you have a claim for intentional interference with contractual relations, you would first have to establish (a) that you had a contractual relationship with band members which would prohibit them from competing with you and the band, and (c) that the club owner was aware of these contractual relationships and intentionally attempted to interfere with them by inducing band-members to terminate or breach such contractual relationships.

Fundamentally, absent written agreements to the contrary and/or a full-time employment situation, you do not have the right to stop band-members from playing in other bands or taking other jobs. Nor do you have the right to be invited to participate in performances by other band members.

Most importantly, even if you have a valid claim, it may not be worth very much money. Unfortunately, in the music business it is easy to find substitute musicians of great talent who will work for relatively low amounts of compensation. If the club owner wants you to accept a pay cut and you refuse, there is nothing wrong with the club owner offering the gig to other musicians, including members of your band. While I understand your frustration, you need to clean up your contractual relationships with your band-mates, and set the ground-rules in writing for situations like this.

5. Daniel Nathan Ballard

11

Answered . You should look into joining the American Federation of Musicians [ http://www.afm.org ] [your local chapter is http://promusic325.com ] and hiring other members to play in your band.

You don't say whether "your band" wrote its own music or not but if it did and if you were contributor and if your former bandmates are playing that music then you're entitled to a percentage of the revenue generated. See an intellectual property attorney.

6. Jeffrey J. Padgett

Pro

11

Answered . You should set your band up as a business and conduct it as such. There is no need to have to trust someone when you can get a contract. If your desire is to be a bar cover band, then you'll probably encounter problems getting them to sign a contract AND you'll have these problems forever. If you need further assistance contact me here.