Is it easy for men to file V.A.W.A. or I-751 themselves by claiming domestic violence

New York, NY |

will immigration give equal consideration to men for the individual removal of the conditional status if their US spouse has filed for divorce within those 2 years of their conditional status and has accused them of green card fraud. I am doing my own research on V.A.W.A. and I-751, and I am amazed how easy an immigrant can file either one of those options claiming domestic abuse. The same is happening to me as my ex got his green card and left me immediately. Does this mean that he will succeed in getting his permanent green card in the next it really this easy for men too. Wouldn't immigration kind of question that it is an immigrant man claiming an abuse (mental..nothing physical) and that something isn't right in terms of the gender as it is usually immigrant women in most

Neither easy nor hard. Depends on the case. VAWA, if backed by facts and evidence, can apply to both men and women. I, as well as lawyers in this forum, have seen VAWA cases approved for both genders.

JP Sarmiento

Repeat question.

IMPORTANT: Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during an attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private attorney-client consultation. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, an attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual. For persons located in New Jersey: To the extent that Mr. Murray's profile can be considered an advertisement in New Jersey, which is denied, be advised that NO ASPECT OF THIS ADVERTISEMENT HAS BEEN APPROVED BY THE SUPREME COURT OF NEW JERSEY. Furthermore, the selection methodology for the SuperLawyers' "Rising Stars" awards is set forth at length at this website:

VAWA provisions apply equally to both men and women. However, it is not as easy to get immigration benefits by merely claiming domestic abuse - the person making the claim must be able to prove it.

Akanksha Kalra, Attorney at Law: 215-542-4905 or Disclaimer: The information provided here is generalized and should not be relied upon as legal advice. This communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.