Is it domestic violence? i was assaulted by my sister in law in front of my daughter,

Salt Lake City, UT |
Filed under: Domestic violence

Utah Domestic Violence Laws

Domestic violence laws in Utah are very strict. Utah law defines domestic violence as a crime which involves two people who are “cohabitants” of each other. The definition of “cohabitant,” in Utah however, is very broad, and many different criminal charges, even non-violent criminal charges, can be classified as domestic violence.

Utah law defines a “cohabitant” as a person at least 16-years-old who:
•is a spouse of the other person involved, or
•is living as if a spouse of the other person involved, or
•is related by blood or marriage to the other person involved, or

You should consult with an attorney in your jurisdiction. Your question appropriately addresses the fact that different jurisdictions may have significant differences in definitions of legal terms. If you do not know of an attorney, you should consider contacting the state Bar association for lawyer referrals.

Each state has different laws regarding the definition of "domestic violence." Since it appears your issue occurred in Utah, I would consult with a Utah attorney.

The answer above is only based upon the limited information provided. The answer is limited and my review is likewise limited, and thus the response is not intended to be acted upon as legal advice. Although licensed in numerous states, I am currently only licensed to practice law in the state of Nevada. No attorney-client relationship is formed until you sign an attorney-client agreement with my office. Any information provided is for discussion purposes only and there is no attorney-client relationship formed. Only general legal information is provided. Each case is unique and accurate legal advise would require review of all details and documents for each specific case. It is possible that the comments here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate.

Laws vary from state to state. However I would doubt that this situation would qualify as domestic violence. It would probably be some other type of assault charge.