Is it defamation of character or harassment?

Asked 6 months ago - Virginia Beach, VA

I was in a military base store buying a bigger purse and took my items out the one I purchased on the previous day. The security (LP) took me in their office for almost an hour. I supplied the receipts and everything providing there was no suspicious activity. The supervisor called apologizing and wanted to know what could they do to rectify the situation.

Pro

1

Answered . Unfortunately, this is a common occurrence, and a lawsuit would be fruitless. Best to let it roll off your shoulder.

2. Richard Todd Rosenstein

Answered . Defamation requires a false statement of fact that is communicated to a third-pary and causes damages to reputation. This sound more like a potential civil claim for false arrest and false imprisonment. You should contact a local civil rights lawyer immediately to discuss the details.

3. Alan James Brinkmeier

Answered . Look into a civil cause of action for false arrest and false imprisonment.