Is it defamation / libel / perjury if I respond in writing to landlord letter and state the bad words he told me over the phone

Colorado Springs, CO |

Is it defamation / libel / perjury if I respond in writing to landlord letter and state the bad and nasty words he told me over the phone.. what If landlord denies that he said those bad words and accuses me of fabricating. but I have a family member as witness..

what if I state in the response letter to landlord that I contacted the previous tenant and that they had the same problems as I am having with landlord now. And state in letter what landlord said about tenant

what if I use statements like "I am disappointed with your service", or stating that he is "unprofessional and that this is not the way to communicate .." due to him stating the bad words over the phone.

So, three other people will be carbon copied the letter, one to the owner and two to city inspection..

please advise.

If it is true than it is not defamation.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at

Truth is an absolute defense. Then again it will be your word against his regarding what was said.

DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being provided for informational purposes only because the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.

If you are send the letter back to the person who said these things, it would not be defamation, which only applies to statements made to third parties. If you are cc'ing other people in on the conversation, I'd leave out his statements: they won't help you win. Saying you are "disappointed" or that he was "unprofessional" are statements of opinion and are likely not defamatory. The key in these situations is to try to take emotion out of it. If you do that, you probably won't get yourself in trouble.

Truth is a complete defense to defamation.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes