Is it criminal for a lawyer to hold your possessions even though you have already paid with a certified cashiers check??

Two part question. Lawyer for landlady requested precise amount to pay for moving and storage of possessions. Cashiers check from reputable bank delivered. That was on Feb.12th. As of now. He has not released possessions. What can be done and is it criminal.? Second question is. Can you file a complaint with the California Bar on an Attorney who is not your own attorney? Thank you kindly

Beverly Hills, CA -

Attorney Answers (2)

Gayle Anne-Marie Gutekunst

Gayle Anne-Marie Gutekunst

Criminal Defense Attorney - San Francisco, CA

This is a civil dispute and not a criminal matter. I'm changing the practice area to Landlord/Tenant because I think you'll get a better range of responses there.

As to your 2nd question: you can file a complaint about any attorney regardless of your relationship with him/her. There are instructions for this on the Cal Bar website:

Michael Raymond Daymude

Michael Raymond Daymude

Real Estate Attorney - Sherman Oaks, CA

This is a civil matter, not a criminal one. You have no grounds to complain against your landlord's attorney. The landlord, not the attorney, is in possession of your property. The attorney, or landlord if the check was delivered to the landlord, may wait for the check to clear before allowing you to recover your property.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for... more

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.