Is it criminal for a lawyer to hold your possessions even though you have already paid with a certified cashiers check??

Beverly Hills, CA |
Filed under: Criminal charges

Two part question. Lawyer for landlady requested precise amount to pay for moving and storage of possessions. Cashiers check from reputable bank delivered. That was on Feb.12th.
As of now. He has not released possessions. What can be done and is it criminal.?
Second question is. Can you file a complaint with the California Bar on an Attorney who is not your own attorney? Thank you kindly

I have put this in two different classes I didnt know where to put it. Sorry.

This is a civil dispute and not a criminal matter. I'm changing the practice area to Landlord/Tenant because I think you'll get a better range of responses there.

As to your 2nd question: you can file a complaint about any attorney regardless of your relationship with him/her. There are instructions for this on the Cal Bar website: www.calbar.ca.gov

2. This is a civil matter, not a criminal one. You have no grounds to complain against your landlord's attorney. The landlord, not the attorney, is in possession of your property. The attorney, or landlord if the check was delivered to the landlord, may wait for the check to clear before allowing you to recover your property.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference