Is it criminal for a lawyer to hold your possessions even though you have already paid with a certified cashiers check??

Asked over 1 year ago - Beverly Hills, CA

Two part question. Lawyer for landlady requested precise amount to pay for moving and storage of possessions. Cashiers check from reputable bank delivered. That was on Feb.12th.
As of now. He has not released possessions. What can be done and is it criminal.?
Second question is. Can you file a complaint with the California Bar on an Attorney who is not your own attorney? Thank you kindly

I have put this in two different classes I didnt know where to put it. Sorry.

1. Gayle Anne-Marie Gutekunst

Pro

2

1

Best Answer

Answered . This is a civil dispute and not a criminal matter. I'm changing the practice area to Landlord/Tenant because I think you'll get a better range of responses there.

As to your 2nd question: you can file a complaint about any attorney regardless of your relationship with him/her. There are instructions for this on the Cal Bar website: www.calbar.ca.gov

2. Michael Raymond Daymude

1

1

Answered . This is a civil matter, not a criminal one. You have no grounds to complain against your landlord's attorney. The landlord, not the attorney, is in possession of your property. The attorney, or landlord if the check was delivered to the landlord, may wait for the check to clear before allowing you to recover your property.