Is it constitutional to be charged for access to public land? Is it 1) constitutional and 2) legal to "close" public land?

Lodi, CA |

Is it constitutional for PUBLIC LAND to have operating hours not just for staff, but hours wherein the PUBLIC is DENIED ACCESS to their PUBLIC LAND and NATURAL RESOURCES? Isn't the point of protecting these lands for the public so we have land we can use that is not privately owned, so we have land we may always choose to use and occupy (temp) for the people?

If you are interested in that sort of unfettered access to land, I suggest you buy some.

Do not believe there is a constitutional issue.
Access is limited and fees charged to preserve the land being held in trust for all of the citizens to enjoy.

The above is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client relationship as this forum does not provide for a confidential communication.

Yes. It is constitutional to close or prohibit access to public lands. Not all public lands are open or managed for "park" or "recreational" purposes.

This answer is provided under the Avvo.com “Terms and Conditions of Use” (“ToU”), particularly ¶9 which states that any information provided is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or any other attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely solely upon Legal Information you obtain from this website or other resources which may be linked to an answer for informational purposes. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo ToU are set forth at http://www.avvo.com/support/terms . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of New York and Federal Courts. Any general information I provide about non-New York laws should be checked with an attorney licensed to practice in your State. Lastly, New York State Court rules (22 NYCRR Part 1200, Rule 7.1) also require me to inform you that my answers and attorney profile posted on the Avvo.com site may be considered "attorney advertising" and that "prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome".

1. Yes.
2. Yes

READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. We have not established an attorney-client relationship unless we have a signed representation agreement and you have paid me. I am providing educational instruction only--not legal advice. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.