Is it considered welfare fraud to receive a large amount of money ($20,000, e.g.) and then go on welfare (including financial)?

Saint Clair Shores, MI |

An individual receives $20,000.00 and goes on welfare. The person denies ever receiving the money. Is it considered welfare fraud to have a large amount of money granted but be employable/have a job?

The individual must be honest with the social services agencies. If not it is welfare fraud.
What is your role? Why are you concerned? How sure are you of your facts?

To the PROSPECTIVE client, please call myself or another attorney for your choice with more detaiils and an appointment. My PRELIMINARY answer to your question(s) is for general purposes and based upon what little information you have conveyed. It is based on such limited information that the general answer should never be relied as a reason for your action or inaction. My response does NOT establish an attorney-client relationship and such may only be established by mutual agreement, and the signing of a written retainer agreement, which will generally require payment for our services, as this is what we do for a living and, just like you, we must get paid for our work.. .

You need to include more information in your post. Was the $20,000 from unreported income or an inheritance? Were the form's filled out accurately and truthfully? What is your connection to the matter?

You will need to be more complete or supplement your question for someone to be able to give you helpful information.

Mr. Loren Dickstein, Esq.
10.0 Rated Michigan Criminal Defense Attorney
FREE CONSULTATIONS
LEWIS & DICKSTEIN, P.L.L.C.
2000 Town Center, Ste. 2350
Southfield, MI 48075
(248) 263-6800
AV Rated (Preeminent) by Martindale-Hubbell
Super Lawyer – Thomson Reuters
10.0 Rated (Superb) – Avvo Lawyer Ratings

The issue is concealment. A fraud charge can follow making a false statement to obtain something of value. There are ways money can come to you and not be income. Money that you have, however it came to you, may influence your eligibility, and so concealing that money to obtain welfare would then be wefare fraud. Besides, if someone has $20,000, why would they need welfare?

We do not have a client/attorney relationship until you make an appointment, we discuss your case face to face, I accept a retainer, and we explictly agree to enter into representation.