Is it considered property abandonment if my ex-husband left all house responsibilites on me and moved away in 2010?

Asked over 1 year ago - Littleton, CO

We rent the house out, but I am the one here taking care of all the landlord duties and upkeep. We have had it for sale for 2 years and no bites and the ex won't agree to lower the price. I need options on what I can do.

1. Stephen Clark Harkess

2

Answered . The short answer is no. The facts you have outlined do not demonstrate that your ex-husband intended to surrender all interest in the property. His intent, express or implied, is what is important for the issue of abandonment.

The handling of the jointly owned property should have been addressed in your divorce decree. If the orders are not sufficient to effectuate the disposition of the property, you may need to go back to the divorce court to seek clairification or modification of the orders.

2. John H Barrett

2

Answered . This depends on what was provided in your separation agreement. If there is no provision dealing with this, you may want to request further orders from the court permitting you to reduce the sale price to current market value.

John H. Barrett 728 Pearl St. Boulder Co. 80302 303-443-6924
  3. David Littman

Pro

2

Answered . You may be entitled to credit for the funds you have expended in keeping the house up and for your management, but if this is an important issue to you, contact a family law attorney, schedule a consult, bring your Separation Agreement with you and figure out what your rights are. Good luck to you.