Is it considered immoral for mother's boyfriend to spend excess time with my young daughter (holidays, sleep overs, vacations)?

Brooklyn, NY |

Mother and I share joint legal custody. Mother has physical. Mother has child on weekends. Son frequently shares stories of hopping into bed with mother and boyfriend to watch tv, when vacationing everyone shares same room, boyfriend often attends sunday "family dinners", daughter spends weekends babysitting boyfriend's dog, son is now friends with boyfriend's niece and nephew, boyfriend attends family vacations (grandparents, mother, brothers). It is my understanding that the courts frown on young (under 6yrs old) children being brought into "new relationships". The boyfriend has been around for only 9 months and only came into the picture after most recent court appearance. Assume pro se appearance in court.

Usually there's nothing to preclude a custodial (or non-custodial) parent from allowing contact with their new "boyfriend" or "girlfriend" during authorized parenting or visitation time.

There may be legitimate issues about safety if there is something unwholesome about the particular person and contact with your child, such as a history of violence, criminality, substance abuse, child abuse or neglect or even cigarette smoking, but just the fact that the new girlfriend/boyfriend or their family is around your child is not a ground for objection.

Certain limited objections, such as the child calling the new boyfriend/girlfriend/stepparent "dad or mom" or "disparagement" of the biological parent can be worked into a family court order, but a sweeping ban of the sort you are seeking where the parent can't consort with someone of the opposite sex won't be entertained by a family court, whether you appeared pro se or with an attorney. There's no vow of celibacy that's imposed by a family court.

This answer is provided under the Avvo.com “Terms and Conditions of Use” (“ToU”), particularly ¶9 which states that any information provided is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or any other attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely solely upon Legal Information you obtain from this website or other resources which may be linked to an answer for informational purposes. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo ToU are set forth at http://www.avvo.com/support/terms . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of New York and Federal Courts. Any general information I provide about non-New York laws should be checked with an attorney licensed to practice in your State. Lastly, New York State Court rules (22 NYCRR Part 1200, Rule 7.1) also require me to inform you that my answers and attorney profile posted on the Avvo.com site may be considered "attorney advertising" and that "prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome".

2. Sorry, but is what it is. It's understandable one in your shoes would feel uncomfortable, but, legally, no issues.

3. Unless there is an issue of what is going on in the bed or some other serious consideration, the boyfriend is essentially entering the familial structure at the mother's house and that is not unusual. Consider that fact that he may someday be her husband.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.