Is it considered "going away from normal practice procedures" when a surgeon sews up a piece of sharp edged plastic inside me?

Tallahassee, FL |

I had major gyn/uro surgery and all symptoms returned within two months after plus approx one year and two days later, I had a piece of plastic with sharp pointed ends travel inside my body and out of my left vaginal wall, when it got down far enough I felt like a wasp stung me and I had to tug and pull to get it out but I did and I tried to get the drs to make sure I was ok, I guess I went it about disclosing it because neither of them would even help me and the urologist, yelled at me and my husband to "shut up" three times, could not show him piece or get one word out, He wrote a letter one week letter stating he would no longer be my urologist and no other urologist in that facility could either. I felt abandoned and scared. I have the piece and I have had infections and pain since.

When a foreign object is left inside your body by a doctor, it is malpractice.

The answer does not create an attorney/client relationship and is for informational purposes only.

Lassen Law Firm
1515 Market St #1510
Philadelphia, PA 19102
215-510-6755
http://www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com

Licensed in PA & NJ. 29% Contingency Fee. Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com

Right, that is what makes sense to everyone in my family. How do we prove it? I have the piece, can DNA answer the questions? What about the fact that I hired an attorney and she strung me along for eight months, no answers to my questions, as far as I can tell the records were just now trickling in according to the owner of the firm when I called and found out my attorney without notifying me. I suspect foul play here too, the drs involved probably play golf or fish here in Florida and I was strung along and I want to know what I can do if they screwed me out of my time with the SOL, I pulled the piece out f me in Sept 11, the surgery was 2010. Any comments would be most accepted and appreciated. Bless all of you for your time.

I sent you all the gory details as a reply to the email I received from you c/o Avvo. Did you read it? Let me know if you want me to attach the picture of the "piece" and I have the operative reports and a journal of a 7 month nightmare of pain, no sex with husband because I can walk without stabbing pains in my left groin, left buttock and pelvic are just above my clitoris under the pelvic bone, Ill feel stinging and cutting type sensations here and there even without sex, he is turned off by me now, the broke me down there and my desire even. My husband and I were active sexually every other day for years, now its been months and its taking its toil on my marriage. He acts depressed now, we don't laugh at movies, I can share the huge yard work or garden. I used to walk 2 to 3 miles three times a week, now I can hardly walk to the bathroom without my non -narcotic pain medication that gives me terrible headaches and quizzies. Then, I hire a recommened, fire me up about the case in the beginning, just to wait till time almost ran out to drop the case after the attorney he assigned quit and never even told. How am I suppose to be happy about any of that? I am just supposed to let everyone just screw up and walk away, while my husband, my family and I live with the results. I have tried to get many attornies on the case, since they dropped me first of last week, no one is calling me or biting. Can you recommend a Florida attorney that can see between the negligent lines and clouds someone is trying to sabatoge my SOL and my rights and I am just a poor girl left to deal with it. I am dealing with it. I am arguing with my sliding scale, government paid doctor who wants me to drop it all and realize I have Osteoarthritis and hemmoroids. What about the evidence? She does not even address that when I try to. She tells me there is nothing she can do about that, unless I get a life threatening injury that is visable. Well, I call that sharp piece of pretty sturdy surgial looking plastic that obviously and honestly migrated down and out of my body, through who what till it reached my groin area where I experience most of my stabbing, then out of my vaginal wall and that is when the excuriating stinging started, believe me, I did not want to pull anything like that out of me, I had to get some relief, if I had tried to walk, it would have done more damage and caused more pain, it was a relief to tug it out with very little resistance, some blood. I was in shock as was my husband, needless to say, we did not finish what we were about to do. That's the rest of the story, see if you received my response in an email and let me know. Honestly, I am naive about all of this and I do think I should continue writing my details on this site. Is it secure? I mean if my former attorney was in cohoots with the adverse party and they see me on here could it come back to hurt me? Thank you for your time and heart even if you don't want my case. At least I can share my experience, strength and hopes with others going through exactly what I am and I feel all alone in this. My husband, bless his heart, is borderline autistic over this, he used to be happy and now he has created a man cave and stays in it all the time. I sleep alone now because of the temptation I guess and because the damage is done. What now? I don't even know what is going with my SOL, that so called professional attorney will not even send me my file, he sent me the evidence and, I beleive it has been tampered with, unless my fluids got sticky on one in, like ahesive or something. What can I do there, I am ready to sue everybody, and that is just not my style. I never even would have thought about suing had these doctors showed me some respect and tried to fix whatever is broken or even if it was not related to the sling or mesh, no ones involved even cared, they just wanted money. That sickens me. How many others are they going to do the same surgery on and desert those poor souls when they come back with fear and scepticism as I did to give those greedy ass doctors a chance b

In Florida there are very specific things you have to prove to show malpractice, and another doctor has to say it is malpractice too. You need to consult with a plaintiff's medical malpractice attorney as soon as possible.

Thank you so much for your compassion. I just wish there were more hearts around me locally like you've shared with all of us, from all over the USA. Well, I just wanted to extend some gratitude. You know who you are and what your intention is, so if the shoe truly fits in this case. Bless your souls for caring about the unfortunate victims of .....You can fill in the blank. Keep up the noble work, attorneys that truly care are truly rare. Good Night.

Heather Morcroft

Heather Morcroft

I know that we all wish you the best of luck.

Thanks for that but I need an attorney more than I need luck. Right?

Heather Morcroft

Heather Morcroft

Yes!!!!

Why won't you consider my case, your in Florida right?

Heather Morcroft

Heather Morcroft

I'm not a medical malpractice attorney. It's very specialized, you need someone who knows that area.

Can you recommend a good one in Florida? I have contacted several via filling out short forms and no one is beating down my door. Wonder why? My former atty said this was a product liability issue as well as personal injury, She kept ignoring my questions regarding medical malpractice .....Now that most of SOL is wasted I wonder why they did that too me. They seemed so excited and confident when they CONVINCED me to sign on. Makes one thing all sorts of things, for example, conflict of interest or they are kin to the ones involved maybe, I guess I will never know. They added more stress and pain to an already unbearable situation. I don't want to go through that again. Hey Heather, thank you, your so kind to address my issue even though this is not your area. That is truly kind and considerate. Don't let life's ups and downs change that about you. TM

I'm sorry to hear about this. I'll tell you what I would tell anyone else in your situation: take care of your health first. If you don't have that, not much else matters. If those doctors won't treat you, then go find someone else who will. Do whatever you have to do to keep yourself safe and get te best medical care you can get.

If you are considering a case, one of the things that needs to be determined is whether the object was "supposed" to be left there and just migrated - or if it was mistakenly left in your body during surgery. Legally, that's an important distinction. You may need either a new doctor, or a medical malpractice lawyer, to help you find that answer. Speak to a medical malpractice attorney in your area as soon as possible if you'd like to pursue a case. Good luck.

New York Patient Safety & Medical Malpractice Attorney. Our top verdicts involve representing patients & their families who have been injured by medical negligence including wrongful death, brain damage, birth injuries, and failure to diagnose cancer cases. http://www.atdlaw.com

Something certainly SOUNDS like it "went wrong" to use lay terms, although without knowing more about your case it is difficult to tell whether or not the surgeon and/or a member of his or her surgical team deviated from the standard of care for reasonably situated medical providers in the community who practice within the same area of medical speciality which is at issue. This is the actual standard which defines medical negligence, often simply called medical malpractice.

The object which you removed, or attempted to remove, could have been a device which your surgeon actually intended to implant and stabilize in a fixed position within your body, although without knowing more it is impossible to even speculate.

Could you provide a bit more detail about the procedure for which your were scheduled and which was ultimately performed by your surgeon; whether he or she has advised you that other procedures had to be performed while they were carrying out the intended, previously scheduled procedure; and whether as of today you have had the foreign object removed by another surgeon (or anyone, for that matter). You should not have attempted to remove this object yourself. Period. Please do not ever do anything like that again. First of all, you place your own health at stake when you attempt anything of this nature. Second, and of much lesser concern, if and when you decide that you would like to attempt to pursue a cause for medical negligence and if it is determined that you have a meritorious case worth pursuing when all aspects of the case are considered (it is difficult emotionally; physically taxing; and will interfere with your life for some time - trust me, I have been doing this for 19 years and it can be very draining), your own attempts to remove the object may impede your ability to win at trial, or at the very minimum may lessen the percentage of liability attributed to any or all of the named Defendants and/or reduce your otherwise potentially recoverable damages completely or at least lessen them.

AVVO can schedule telephone consultations with attorneys in Florida like myself who practice medical malpractice. You should try to speak with three or more of us through AVVO or on your own in order to determine with whom you feel the most comfortable.

Please provide more information by replying to this comment with a further comment in reply (do not submit a new question or it may be difficult or impossible to line the two).

All the best and my condolences for the issues with which you have been attempting to manage on your own.

Sincerely,

David B. Dohner, Esq.

We are pleased to offer a free thirty (30) minute initial telephone consultation, or, if possible, will attempt to schedule a free thirty (30) minute initial office consultation. Neither this offer of a free initial consultation, nor the mere fact that the initial consultation may have ultimately been conducted, whether telephonically or at our office location, should be construed; assumed; interpreted; or understood by any individual who was granted a free initial consultation for which no consideration of any sort whatsoever was tendered, to have formed or created an attorney-client relationship, or to have created any obligations owed by the attorney or attorney's firm to any individual who was given a free initial consultation, by the mere undertaking of the free initial consultation for which no consideration of any sort was tendered to attorney or attorney's firm. The formation of an attorney-client relationship occurs through the process of negotiation between the prospective parties, the individual seeking legal representation, and the attorney, acting individually, or as an agent of a firm (the capacity in which the attorney is acting shall be disclosed to prospective client, if negotiations for legal representation in exchange for good and valuable consideration are undertaken by the prospective client and the attorney. If agreement is reached by and between the parties for legal representation after the mutually satisfactory negotiation of the agreement for legal representation, and all of its individual terms; the scope of representation to be provided by the attorney to the prospective client has been delineated to the mutual satisfaction of the parties; the manner of payment of good and valuable consideration by the prospective client to the attorney has been determined; and it has been conceded by the parties that all of those factors upon which agreement had been reached by the parties and which were recited herein, had been agreed upon by the parties only after careful consideration and sufficient review of the document styled Agreement for Legal Representation, and after it has likewise been conceded by the parties that each respectively had been presented with the opportunity to have the document reviewed independently by each respective party's personal attorney, or any other attorney of his or her chooosing. If the Agreement for Legal Representation contains terms regarding contingency fee agreement or agreements for payment to the attorney for all or a portion of his or her services and legal representation on behalf of the Client, Client concedes that he or she has been presented with an additional document entitled "Statement of Client's Rights", which is a document created by the Florida Bar and approved for use in matters in which payment in full or part, is tendered by contingency fee agreement. Please note that any commentary or response offered through this site is based on the limited set of facts and background data supplied by the individual framing the question and would in all likelihood require more investigation before a complete response could properly be framed to thoroughly answer the question posed. No attorney-client relationship is, or should be presumed to be, formed through the comments or responses provided to the individual posing the question, as a courtesy, here, through this forum, nor should any other duties or obligations be construed; assumed; or otherwise be inferred to exist and/or owed to the individual who posed the question by the attorney who provided the best guidance possible to said individual under the circumstances presented as they were, including the unreasonable assumption that a full and thorough legal analysis of an individual's situation could be formulated simply based on the minute portion of the entirety of the facts and circumstances surrounding any legal matter, which could in no manner possibly be presented here in such a form which would allow for a thorough analysis, evaluation, or legal opinion to be formed by the Attorney.

Thank you for your caring words, it gives me some hope and relief, I had an attorney for 6.5 months and never received a response as well spoken as yours. I, at reasonable intervals of course, asked about 10 very important questions that never got responded to, no medicals filed until they just recently because he stated that my records were just stating to "trickle" in. I read in the Fl statutes that a reasonable amount of time for the records to arrive should have taken no more than a month had they even requested them is a mystery now. I cannot even get a response or my file them. Anyway, I had a gyno and urolo from two separate offices, they were Vocational Rehabilitation vendors. What was suppose to be a one day stay in the hospital turned into a week of hell. I had to beg and cry just to get nausia medication, I had a bad reaction to the anesthisia or the maybe it was the Dilidid pump they had tried me on but I can only handle certain pain medications or I vomit profusely until I get finigren its the only nausea medication that takes vomiting away. After they pumped me with the max of some cheap nausea medication, I finally stopped puking long enough to call my husband and he called the front desk and, finally about four hours later, they came and gave me finagrin and my nausea went away within minutes, first they took me off the pump and made me wait for hours before I received any pain meds. I had to demand a new nurse because the one I had hated her job, she was practically yelling at me to get up and walk and pee or I would be there longer, I just woke up from sedation and she is trying to make it as if I was just a whiner or something. They gave a different nurse that after that things as far as that got better. I had to have a cathader put in for several days. I have had nothing but pain and problems every sense. My husband I both have had a real difficult time, we cannot even make love, he won't because we are both afraid of what it may do to me. I can hardly walk the few days without terrible (8-10) range stabbing pains when i put wait on my left leg or walk or sit too long. When it gets that bad, the pain medications does not work it needs to be stronger. I am not a druggy and I have no criminal recovrd of being a druggy so why did I have to suffer and not get the best medicene? Now, I will attempt to be brief as I answer your inquiry, the gyno doctor is a seasoned, highly regarded, as far as I know, gyno. When I followed up a couple times after the surgery, I was on some pretty strong pain medication so, honestly the regular first two follow ups I actually got seen, this doc was as he usually was with me and my husband. He almost seem to find it amusing. He stated he did the traditional surgery using my own tissues and he did not agree with the using "mesh" or the "sling kits", (according to my research, the traditional surgery could have had or has caused about as many injuries to the nerve as using these kits, he goes onto saying that he watched the uro doctor perform the surgery and he suggested to him that the sling looked too tight but he just just blew the gyno doctor and left. The gyno docter, the older, more experienced, doctor said this to both my husband and I and his nurse when she was in the room, she was in and out. Anyway,. The uro doc is a greenhorn with this type of surgery and it is all over FDA website, which had they warned me, I would have checked out the FDA warnings and really seen all the complications and risks with NOT RARE replaced RARE. People or dying from infection because of the non human tested mesh kits, our bodies are obviously rejecting, some faster than others. I was pretty healthy right before this surgery, well other than all my pelvic organs had fallen and I could cough and lose urine by the cup full, other than that, I was happily married and I was sexually active with him. i wish I would never had the surgery, I should have asked more questions, did some research, but I was on narcotic pain meds and I was feeling all happy you know and I completely truste