Is it common for the DA and PD to do homicide investigations together, Or are thay done only by homicide investigators?

Burbank, CA |

The first day of a homicide investigation is it common for police and DA to work together at the crime scene?

Extremely common. It allows DA's to direct the investigation and make sure the evidence they will want to use should the case go to trial is properly preserved. It also helps to ensure that proper procedures are being followed by law enforcement. A DA doesn't want a defense lawyer to have a case thrown out because an overzealous law enforcement officer made a mistake - if the DA is involved in the investigation they have the opportunity to oversee law enforcement conduct and decisions.

The answers to these questions are intended for informational purposes. The attorney-client privilege does not attach and will not attach unless a written contact is entered into with Ms. Daly's firm. CIRCULAR 230 DISCLOSURE: If the above relates to a tax matter then, pursuant to Treasury Department Rules, we must advise you of the following: The advice contained in this communication was not intended or written to be used and cannot be used for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed by the Internal Revenue Service. Under the applicable Rules, a taxpayer may rely on our advice to avoid penalties only if the advice is reflected in a more formal tax opinion that conforms to IRS standards

2. I don't know if it us common, but there is nothing wrong with it. DA investigators are, for all intents and purposes, law enforcement officers. They carry guns, badges and handcuffs. They also have the authority to arrest people. Most of them were cops on the local police department before they were hired by the DAs office.

DAs mainly use them to clear up some issues in cases that the police overlooked or did not know about. They also track down witnesses for trial.

Reliance on any information in this website is at the sole risk of the user and the user understands that he or she should consult with an attorney before taking a course of action based upon information contained in this website. The information on this website does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.

3. DA can facilitate warrants, & "discovery" especially where the justification is not a "slam dunk".

Curt Harrington Patent & Tax Law Attorney Certified Tax Specialist by the California Board of Legal Specialization PATENTAX.COM This communication is general information and not legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. This communication should not be relied upon as any type of legal advice. Please note that no attorney-client relationship exists between the sender and the recipient of this message in the absence of either (1) a signed fee contract and (2) remission of an agreed-upon retainer. Absent such an agreement and retainer, I am not engaged by you as an attorney, nor is any other member of my law firm.

4. It is very common for a DA to work closely with police. The DA will not really do any investigation on their own, they will consult with the detectives and in some instances direct them. As a defense lawyer I routinely go to the scene with my investigator to better understand the dynamics. Prosecutors do the same thing.

5. Watch Law & Order. Yes it is common.