Is it CHRO, EEOC or retaining lawyer first when making a disability complaint?

Plantsville, CT |

I wrote a complaint that I was discriminated against for my disabilty at my last place of employment. Do I send the same complaint to CHRO now or do I wait until the EEOC gives me an answer. I think the CHRO wanted to make an appointment with me. When do I seek an attorney and will these attorneys ask for money up front? Do attorneys work on a contingency?

You have 180 days from the date of the adverse employment action to file a discrimination complaint with the CHRO. Your complaint with the EEOC covers federal law not state law. You should seek an attorney now. Depending on the case and the client's situation, an attorney may be prepared to take the case without a retainer.

Some attorneys require payment on an hourly basis. Some work on a contingency fee basis. The EEOC, under a work sharing agreement with Connecticut, delegates the investigation of federal claims generally to the CHRO. So even though you can assert federal and state claims with the CHRO and EEOC, generally the CHRO alone will investigate the complaint. As the previously poster indicated, make sure you do so in a timely fashion. Although complaints can be filed without the assistance of an attorney, an attorney often can assist you in writing a much stronger complaint by explaining the law and helping you emphasize what is most important to your claim legally and factually.

Daniel M Young

Daniel M Young

DISCLAIMER: My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

Christine C McCall

Christine C McCall

Sounds strangely familiar...

Recommended articles about Employment