Is it blackmail/extortion for me to threaten to report my landlord to the inspector?

Asked over 1 year ago - Wilbraham, MA

Would it constitute blackmail or extortion for me to threaten to report code violations to the building inspector unless my landlord returns my security deposit?

1. Melissa Anne Levine-Piro

6

Answered . Threatening anyone is not an advisable route. Have you asked your landlord in writing for your deposit back? If so, what has your landlord said as to why he will not give it back? Landlords are required to return security deposits within 30 days or they can be subject to triple damages. Your best bet is to have an attorney send a demand letter on your behalf, many attorneys will do so on a contingency fee basis and if that doesn't work take action in court. Best of luck.

Melissa Levine
    www.levinepirolaw.com

2. Erik Hammarlund

1

Answered . The chances are decent that you're entitled to your deposit back no matter what. I say that because the security deposit statute is so precise and difficult that only a very small percentage of landlords manage to fully comply, and noncompliance will entitle you to the return of your deposit.

Take a look at the statute, here.
    http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/P...

You might be particularly interested in sections (b), (c) and (d), which are often violated and which entitle you to get the deposit back.

3. Henry Lebensbaum

Answered . It depends how it is phrased

henry lebensbaum esq 300 Brickstone Sq Ste 201 andover, ma -- attorneylebensbaum@verizon.net (978) 749-3606.
    Criminal Law (all courts), Drunk Driving, Drugs, Violence, Sex Offenses, theft, SORB, Divorce Child Custody Alimony Child Support & Modification, Contempts & Paternity Juveniles Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury, Guardianship, Conservatorship & Estate Administration & Legal Malpractice. For these & other areas, contact me. Email sent may be copied intercepted or held by computers.