Is it better to seek asylum at the Poe or ask the border officers to have you parole in the country to seek asylum? Plse advise.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

I have a sister who is being persecuted in her country and she has been denied American visa before but she has Mexico visa and she want to seek asylum at the Poe when she gets to Mexico

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

5

Answered . Those "persecutors" better be agents of the state (government) and not just common criminals.. Or at least criminal gang that sister's home country government is either unwilling or unable to control.. Our office is very experienced in asylum cases.

When sister presents herself at the port of entry, say San Ysidro (avoid Otay Mesa) between Tijuana and San Diego, she could be paroled in or temporarily taken into immigration detention, for a few days, to enable the Los Angeles Asylum office dispatch an asylum officer conduct a "credible fear" interview of sister in detention. If the officer can establish, based on your sister's oral testimony, that there is more than 10% chance that what she suffered persecution, then she might be paroled into the country to pursue her asylum claim affirmatively with the asylum office or might be NTA'd for immigration court.

Best wishes to your sister.

2. Carlos E Sandoval

3

Answered . I agree with attorney Behar.

3. Meredith Riley Brown

1

Answered . I would add that if she is a victim of severe domestic violence, there is case law (Matter of RA) that might support that claim. As you are in the Los Angeels area, you could contact our office to schedule a consultation at 818-541-9999.