Is it better to request a jury trial or judge trial for a speeding ticket?

Houston, TX |
Filed under: Traffic tickets

Not Guilty Plea - Ticket for impeding traffic and crossing the white line from the feeder to the freeway.

1. In California, you're not entitled to a jury trial for a speeding ticket. If it happens to be different in Texas (which I doubt), I'd request a jury trial.

2. It all depends on the risk you want to take. If you request a jury trial, then you are going to have more of a chance to get a dismissal as these are fresh individuals who have probably had citations before. By just picking a Judge you take a risk in that he hears all kinds of traffic citation cases on a regular basis and has heard "every excuse imaginable" regarding why someone is not guilty, so he might not be sympathetic.

Either way, you should absolutely contact an attorney in your area to represent you at trial. You want to make sure that you have hard evidence proving you were not doing what the court says you were. Your word alone will not be good enough.

Good Luck!

The Coquat Law Firm is based in San Antonio, Texas and answers questions on AVVO.com for general information purposes only. Attorney answers are intended to be informative opinions only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. If you would like to hire an attorney from The Coquat Law Firm, please see us online at www.TrafficTicketSA.com or call us at 210-745-0144.

3. Most attorney's will set a case for jury trial since we are more familiar with court room procedures. Judge trial is easier for someone who chooses to represent themselves, but it is still risky. The best thing to do is consult a traffic ticket lawyer about representing you so they can help you.

4. I suggest you hire an attorney and take their advice. If you think you should go to trial, a jury trial is typically what you will want. If you elect to have a trial, in front of a judge or jury, and you do not hire an attorney, you will be held to the same standards as a licensed attorney.

Traffic tickets topics