Is it better to hire a younger lawyer or a more experienced lawyer for med malpractice?

Boca Raton, FL |

My personal feeling is that younger lawyers would have more energy and be less jaded than older lawyers who have "probably seen alot." But if more experienced lawyers are ultimately better, I should know that. What is considered a good amount of experience >10yrs?

I am not sure if the age of the attorney is as important as the areas of practice they have developed. Medical malpractice is a complicated area of law so you need an experienced attorney. I would measure experience by their knowledge about your particular type of medical malpractice. For example I am a Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect attorney, there are some attorneys, that are focused on hospital emergency malpractice, surgical malpractice, medication/drug claims, etc.

I would look for a well respected attorney in your area and set up an appointment and see if you feel comfortable with the attorney.

AVVO DISCLAIMER I am licensed in Minnesota only and my answers on Avvo assume Minnesota law. The answers I provide are for general information only and are NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE and therefore must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interaction between an attorney and client and specific exact facts and the law. I do not retain clients without a signed RETAINER AGREEMENT. The Avvo forum does not allow for the discussion and the interaction necessary to form a complete legal analysis. Therefore the answers given to any specific question would most likely be different if there was attorney-client interaction. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such an attorney client relationship. An attorney-client relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged nor are they confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and statutory time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in the answers to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an qualified attorney for legal advice licensed in the proper jurisdiction. Finally, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.

Your right on both counts!!!!!!!
Find someone you are personally comfortable with. It makes all the difference in the world. Just remember, med mal takes a lot of money and a lot of time and your lawyer needs both.

The short answer is that you need to work with an attorney that you can trust and have a working relationship.

You should contact and sit down with 2 or 3 different lawyers that handle medical malpractice cases. One important element in these cases is lawyer accessibility. Because medical malpractice are generally highly litigated you will need to have access to the lawyer and not always have the barrier of the paralegal and the assistants. With small firms and solo practitioners usually, not always, the client will have more access to the lawyer who is handling the case. The bottom line is you need someone with experience, someone who you feel comfortable with and someone you will have access to. Best of luck.

This information does not constitute am attorney / client relationship and is just a general answer to the question posed with the limited facts available. There is no substitute to a consultation with an attorney licensed in your State.

You need to hire a competent attorney with experience in the area.

Lawyers are not interchangeable and each one needs to be evaluated independently.

You might find a lawyer with fifty years of experience who is a star in the area. You might find a lawyer with fifty years of experience who doesn't know what he is doing. You might find a brand-new lawyer that has been practicing medicine for twenty years and who has just recently switched fields. You might find a brand-new lawyer who will associate with an experienced medical malpractice lawyer. The choices are nearly endless.

This is a summary based on incomplete facts. You should not rely on it as legal advise. No attorney-client relationship is intended to be formed. You may call me 772-562-4570; email me, or visit my website

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes