Is it better to hire a younger lawyer or a more experienced lawyer for med malpractice?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Boca Raton, FL

My personal feeling is that younger lawyers would have more energy and be less jaded than older lawyers who have "probably seen alot." But if more experienced lawyers are ultimately better, I should know that. What is considered a good amount of experience >10yrs?

1. Chris Matthew Limberopoulos

8

Answered . Your right on both counts!!!!!!!
    Find someone you are personally comfortable with. It makes all the difference in the world. Just remember, med mal takes a lot of money and a lot of time and your lawyer needs both.

2. Carlos J. Jimenez

6

1

Answered . You should contact and sit down with 2 or 3 different lawyers that handle medical malpractice cases. One important element in these cases is lawyer accessibility. Because medical malpractice are generally highly litigated you will need to have access to the lawyer and not always have the barrier of the paralegal and the assistants. With small firms and solo practitioners usually, not always, the client will have more access to the lawyer who is handling the case. The bottom line is you need someone with experience, someone who you feel comfortable with and someone you will have access to. Best of luck.

3. Scott J. Corwin

Pro

7

Answered . The short answer is that you need to work with an attorney that you can trust and have a working relationship.

4. Kenneth Lee LaBore

Pro

6

Answered . I am not sure if the age of the attorney is as important as the areas of practice they have developed. Medical malpractice is a complicated area of law so you need an experienced attorney. I would measure experience by their knowledge about your particular type of medical malpractice. For example I am a Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect attorney, there are some attorneys, that are focused on hospital emergency malpractice, surgical malpractice, medication/drug claims, etc.

I would look for a well respected attorney in your area and set up an appointment and see if you feel comfortable with the attorney.

5. Clifford M. Miller

Pro

2

Answered . You need to hire a competent attorney with experience in the area.

Lawyers are not interchangeable and each one needs to be evaluated independently.

You might find a lawyer with fifty years of experience who is a star in the area. You might find a lawyer with fifty years of experience who doesn't know what he is doing. You might find a brand-new lawyer that has been practicing medicine for twenty years and who has just recently switched fields. You might find a brand-new lawyer who will associate with an experienced medical malpractice lawyer. The choices are nearly endless.

One or more answers have been taken down.