Is it better to have my husband send me a check for support or use the court

Milford, MA |
Filed under: Divorce

I heard the DOR can make mistakes?

The DOR is there to protect families and like any other organization they may make mistakes from time to time. Many courts are requiring suspded DOR support orders anyhow, which means if he fails to make the payment you can ask the court to order the DOR to collect the support. One problem with DOR is that the intial time it takes to collect may be a bit lengthy and if your spouse only gets paid once per month then that may affect when your payments come in. Other than that, they are like any govt. agency, which was created to help people and make their lives easier.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.

Howard M Lewis

Howard M Lewis

Govt should do for people only what they cannot do for themselves and no more- Obama quoted Lincoln last week. Just food for thought.

Howard M Lewis

Howard M Lewis

government should do for people only what they cannot do better by themselves, and no more.

Howard M Lewis

Howard M Lewis

Got the first quote wrong, sorry

Jennifer A Deland

Jennifer A Deland

Attorney Lewis is a good divorce lawyer. I am an estate planner, so I tell you to get divorced if the marriage is over. Attorney Lewis advises you on whether to ask for a DOR order. His advice is sound.

Howard M Lewis

Howard M Lewis

Attorney's Mason and Deland are both incredible local attny's whom I highly recommend.

Mary Katherine Brown

Mary Katherine Brown

As always, the highest regard should be given to the information provided by your local attorneys.

Are you asking whether you should actually get divorced, or whether you should have some sort of private separation agreement?

You should get divorced. A marriage is a legal relationship, which only the court can end. If you have children, a divorce order will incorporate provisions for support which will be legally enforceable.

If you do not divorce, you are in legal limbo. Your children could lose out to your husband if you died, since he is entitled to a share of your estate - whether or not you have a will that says otherwise.

So bite the bullet and go to court - with a lawyer to protect your rights and the rights of your children.

Howard M Lewis

Howard M Lewis

very good advice and great counsel

Mary Katherine Brown

Mary Katherine Brown

It is your choice.

henry lebensbaum esq 300 Brickstone Sq Ste 201 andover, ma -- attorneylebensbaum@verizon.net (978) 749-3606.
Criminal Law (all courts), Drunk Driving, Drugs, Violence, Sex Offenses, theft, SORB, Divorce Child Custody Alimony Child Support & Modification, Contempts & Paternity Juveniles Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury, Guardianship, Conservatorship & Estate Administration & Legal Malpractice. For these & other areas, contact me. Email sent may be copied intercepted or held by computers.

Criminal Law (all misdemeanor & felonies in District and Superior Courts), Drunk Driving and Drug arrests, Sex Offenses, SORB, Crimes involving Violence or Theft, Domestic (Divorce, Child Custody, Alimony and Child Support) and Family Law (Modification, Contempts & Paternity), Juvenile Law, Domestic Violence and Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury claims, Probate Law (Guardianships, Conservatorships & Estate Administration) and Legal Malpractice. For these and other areas, contact me. NOTE: This preceding message DOES NOT create an attorney-client relationship. It is not a protected or confidential communication. The statements made herein are not to be interpreted as representations or warranties of any kind. No reliance should be placed on the statements made herein. It is recommended that the recipient(s) should undertake their own research to reach their own opinion. The writer does not accept professional responsibility on this matter. TO CREATE an attorney-client relationship REQUIRES a signed retainer/fee agreement along with a retainer fee that must be received by my office.