Is it better to have my husband send me a check for support or use the court

Asked almost 3 years ago - Milford, MA

I heard the DOR can make mistakes?

1. Howard M Lewis

Pro

10

32

Best Answer

Answered . The DOR is there to protect families and like any other organization they may make mistakes from time to time. Many courts are requiring suspded DOR support orders anyhow, which means if he fails to make the payment you can ask the court to order the DOR to collect the support. One problem with DOR is that the intial time it takes to collect may be a bit lengthy and if your spouse only gets paid once per month then that may affect when your payments come in. Other than that, they are like any govt. agency, which was created to help people and make their lives easier.

2. Jennifer A Deland

Pro

5

2

Answered . Are you asking whether you should actually get divorced, or whether you should have some sort of private separation agreement?

You should get divorced. A marriage is a legal relationship, which only the court can end. If you have children, a divorce order will incorporate provisions for support which will be legally enforceable.

If you do not divorce, you are in legal limbo. Your children could lose out to your husband if you died, since he is entitled to a share of your estate - whether or not you have a will that says otherwise.

So bite the bullet and go to court - with a lawyer to protect your rights and the rights of your children.

3. Henry Lebensbaum

3

Answered . It is your choice.

henry lebensbaum esq 300 Brickstone Sq Ste 201 andover, ma -- attorneylebensbaum@verizon.net (978) 749-3606.
    Criminal Law (all courts), Drunk Driving, Drugs, Violence, Sex Offenses, theft, SORB, Divorce Child Custody Alimony Child Support & Modification, Contempts & Paternity Juveniles Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury, Guardianship, Conservatorship & Estate Administration & Legal Malpractice. For these & other areas, contact me. Email sent may be copied intercepted or held by computers.