Is it better to go with a lawyer who specializes in a certain field? My issue is pertaining to business law.

West Hollywood, CA |

My former business partner breached our contract and committed fraud. I am looking to bring a lawsuit against him. A friend of mine recommended a lawyer who specializes in employment / health care. Would it be in my interest to look for a lawyer who specializes in business law? I am fairly certain the issue will go into litigation. I do know that employment / health care lawyers have a rep for being very aggressive.

Can a breach of contract / fraud pertaining to business be argued by any lawyer?

Yes. However, there are other business torts which you might be able to assert against your former business partner.

While any lawyer is capable of filing a civil lawsuit for breach of contract and/or fraud, you really ought to hire a business litigation attorney with trial experience.

While aggressive attorneys might impress the client, I personally don't think being very aggressive is the most important attribute for the attorney who is going to get you the maximum recovery in a business litigation case. Detailed preparation, having an in-depth understanding of the applicable law, and a respectable reputation with the judge and opposing counsel are far more important for victory.

Frank W. Chen has been licensed to practice law in California since 1988. The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice for a particular case. This Avvo.com posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, please consult with your own attorney.

2. You should look for an attorney that handles business disputes and is a commercial litigator. You do not want to be paying an attorney to learn the law.

If you'd like to discuss, please feel free to call. Jeff Gold Gold, Benes, LLP 1854 Bellmore Ave Bellmore, NY 11710 Telephone -516.512.6333 Email - Jgold@goldbenes.com

3. You should not consult with a lawyer who does not litigate business matters for a business related care. Think about it this way, if you had heart problems, you would see a cardiologist not a podiatrist. While both are doctors, they have different specialities. Same principle applies for lawyers. There is too much to know in any one field of law to be able to handle different types of law.

4. This is a matter of preference. I believe that one shoud seek the services of a lawyer that is experienced with and concentrates in the feilds which concern the litigation. Best of luck.

Any response given is not to be taken as legal advice or to create an attorney client relationship.

5. Once again I am stuck with the role of contrarian: almost every civil case involves large areas of law that are common to every case, particularly issues of evidence and civil procedure. A high degree of skill in these specific subject matters is an essential requirement in your advocate. Every case also turns on a very unique and specific set of facts and circumstances involving the parties and the claim. These facts and circumstances will have to be "learned" by your counsel, and the best indications of probable effectiveness in that specific requirement is someone who is intelligent, detail-oriented, meticulous, persistent, with impeccable reasoning and judgment. "Critical" analytic skills is a bonus, but not easily found.

Between those two"poles" is the law of the specific subject matter: employment, contracts, personal injury, etc. You need a litigator who is not walking through the relevant subject matter as a learner, someone who has worked with the concepts and knows the landscape: the major cases, the evolution of the law of the subject, the key issues, the difficult issues, the "grey areas," the court's usual concerns in the subject matter, etc.

Here is the hard part: there is no one -- NO ONE AT ALL -- who will have ALL of ALL of the necessary qualities and skills. That magical unicorn does not exist. But do your search with these broad qualities in mind, and don't forget that the most critical quality is the "fit" between the client and the advocate. Hold out for an attorney you can trust, one you can talk to effectively, one who "gets" you, and one who seems truly engaged and motivated by the equities of your case.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

6. It can also be helpful to find a lawyer who is familiar with the type of business involved, if possible.

7. Your best bet will be to choose an experienced business litigation attorney.

The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.