Is it better to create a Trust and a Will in TX or just have the Will with the desire of a testamentary Trust in the Will?

Asked over 1 year ago - Hayward, CA

If the Trust is created by me for my assets now, do the successor trustees have to come down to Texas to sign it now?

1. James P. Frederick

9

Answered . Given only your two options, I would choose the trust and a Will. This would give you the possibility of avoiding probate, upon your death. Normally, the successor trustees would not be required to sign the trust agreement. Your trust and the accompanying documents should be prepared by an attorney. The attorney will not only prepare all necessary documents correctly, but will also assist you with funding the trust and answering any ongoing questions that may crop up.

You are very wise to be taking care of this. Your beneficiaries will thank you.

James Frederick

2. Steven M Zelinger

Pro

8

Answered . Whether a will with a testamentary trust at the "end" is better or a revocable living trust (with a "pour over" will) is best is really dependent on the situation so you need to visit with an attorney to determine your needs and options. In many cases the living trust is best or makes the most sense with all things considered. Speak to an attorney please.

3. Eric Jerome Gold

Pro

6

Answered . Which option is better depends on your circumstances. The most important item, as I see it, is that you need to consult with a local estate planning attorney, and not take this on as a do-it-yourself project. By reviewing your circumstances with local counsel, you will be able to make an informed decision on which avenue is best under your particular facts. I applaud you for taking the initiative to ask the question.