Is it best to tell our kids about the divorce before papers have been served?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Corvallis, OR

I don't know how early children should be brought into the divorce process. Is it okay to tell them before anything is made official?

1. Miranda Shanell Summer

2

Answered . This is really a personal decision, rather than a legal one. If you have a child between the ages of 18 and 21, who is a "child attending school" per Oregon law, then they will be a party to the proceeding with regard to child support issues, so that may affect your decision. Minor children are sometimes more deeply involved in the legal process if a custody evaluation takes place. Basically, what I'm saying is that children eventually figure out what's going on so you will want to sit down and talk to them at some point but that's something for you and your spouse to discuss how to do it in a thoughtful, loving manner, rather than something you need legal advice to do.

Good luck with everything.