Is it best to show up in person for a petition to probate hearing if you are the one slated to be appointed as Executor?

San Jose, CA |

If I have legal representation, and the petition to probate has a court hearing date assigned, and I believe my siblings may contest me being appointed as Executor is it best to be at the hearing in person as well or not go and wait to see what the outcome of the court hearing is. I've been told if I go to the hearing I won't be able to say or do anything anyway. What do you advise your clients in a similiar situation to do?

I feel the answer is "yes." Speak with your probate attorney.

Can u help me understand why you would advise your client "yes"? Thanks.

Shawn Michael Haggerty

Shawn Michael Haggerty

I find that it helps clientst understand the process a little more. Client support.

James P. Frederick

James P. Frederick

It is also helpful if the judge has questions or seeks to determine whether or not any objections might be valid. I always ask my clients to be there for these hearings, even though they seldom need to speak much.

This is a question you should ask your attorney. Then, follow that advice.

Most probate hearings are perfunctory. If the notes are cleared and no objections have been filed the matter will either be approved or continued if an objection is made at the hearing.

In 99.9% of the cases your appearance will not make any difference to the outcome. IMO, whether you attend is simply a matter of your personal preference. Good luck.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

Most likely-any petition to object to your appointment would be filed and your attorney would be aware of the situation. You should discuss with your attorney and take his/her advice.

The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.

If you believe it will be contested, I would advise my client to attend

Wills and estates topics