Is it be appropriate to talk to the lead counsel in a law firm when you are dissatisfied with subordinate attorneys performance

Asked about 1 year ago - Saint Charles, MO

I have a attorney but I feel like she is not pursuing my case according to my wishes. She is a lower level attorney in a firm and hasn't filed the appropriate motions to best defend me. This is for a contempt/custody case. I have requested several times in emails my wishes but it seems as though she is dealing with the case how she wants to rather than how I want it dealt with. We are ill prepared for trial and it is coming up within six months. I have gotten additional fees charged due to opposition not complying and need her to be more aggressive in handling my case.

1. Todd Nathan Hendrickson

Pro

1

Answered . Unfortunately, what you are describing sounds like a typical acrimonious family law case. If you are dissatisfied, you should sit down with the attorney handling your case and a supervising attorney to map out what is going to be done, hen and why.

2. Robert Edward Fenster

1

Answered . No attorney can force the opposition to comply. Sometimes that attorney can get the opponent to pay the attorney fee and costs as a result of the noncompliance. Being fully prepared for trial six months out is NOT the norm, especially when there has been non-compliance.

Emails are a terrible way to communicate with a lawyer for matters of importance such as strategy. Schedule an appointment to meet with her in her office for 15-20 minutes to meet face to face. If her explanations and abilities seem inadequate and your expectations are not unreasonable, then ask someone else in the firm to transfer the case or hire someone from outside the firm. The latter would probably be better, all things considered.

3. Philip Anthony Fabiano

Answered . While it is not inappropriate let me make a suggestion. Schedule a meeting with your attorney and fully explain your concerns. Perhaps there is some misunderstanding or something that just needs to be better explained to you. Make sure your concerns are well founded. If you go to a more senior lawyer with issues that are really not problems, you may be looked at as more of a problem and if you have legitimate concerns in the future they may not get the attention they would otherwise deserve.