Is it bad to use a general practice attorney?

Asked over 2 years ago - Aliso Viejo, CA

I am looking for an attorney and the most reasonable cost is one I consider a general practicioner? Would it be better to pay for one that specializes? Is there a consensus or general belief about attorneys that have more than one specialty?

1. Michael Charles Doland

7

Best Answer

Answered . I hope not because in "shorthand" I refer to myself as "outside""general counsel".
    You have not specified the subject matter. Some need specialists, such as tax. Some benefit from California Certified Specialists, such as family law. But some attorneys have significant experience in areas where California does not certify specialists. There is no general rule, but if you find an attorney of integrity he or she will disclose if they do not feel completely competent to handle your matter with complete professionalism. Finally, cost does not always correlate to quality. Cost varies by geographic location, length of practice, complexity of the matter, and occasionally the ego of the attorney. Many attorneys also have a different fee scale for different matters they handle and different clients.

2. Marilynn Mika Spencer

7

1

Answered . I am an attorney who only practices in one area (labor and employment), so my answer may be viewed with that in mind.

It depends greatly on the legal issue and the background of the general practice attorney. The more complicated your legal issue is, the more that is at stake, the more likely you need an attorney with considerable expertise in that area. For example, if you have a criminal law issue and the general practice attorney only has a background in civil law, you probably shouldn't use the general practice attorney. If your case has a value of $1,000, you might not care that much if you end up losing (though you might not be aware of any other consequences that can flow from losing the case).

Attorneys are like doctors. We have certain areas we know and other areas we do not, no matter how diverse our client base is. If I had sudden blurred vision, I would not go to a foot doctor. And I wouldn't want a brain surgeon to deliver my baby.

If you want a visual representation of how complicated law is, go over to a county law library. These libraries are open to the public. Just walk around and see how much there is, then ask yourself if any one attorney could know all that.

Personally, I would not go to a general practice attorney if I had any other option. Doing so can save you money now, but cost you big time in the long run.

3. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

7

1

Answered . No, but it really depends upon the subject matter of your inquiry and the complexity of the case.

It is not bad to use a general practice attorney for some simple matters, but in this modern day and age, you need to hire an attorney with substantial experience in the area of law that you seek legal assistance.

An experienced attorney with more than 20 years of practice can certainly have more than one area of focus/specialty. Often times, a litigation matter or a transaction requires interdisciplinary skills.

The State Bar of California has the country's first legal certification program, which offers attorneys the opportunity to demonstrate high competence through evaluations by a panel of experts in one of 11 areas of law practice and in 11 additional areas through certifying partners.

4. Joseph Briscoe Dane

Pro

5

1

Answered . It depends on what your situation is. Can just about any attorney with a modicum of experience write a scathing letter on your behalf? Probably. But what if that letter doesn't accomplish the desired result? Can that attorney back it up and actually initiate legal proceedings?

Similarly, would you want an attorney that only dabbles in the type of law that your situation involves? Compare it to any other professional service, like a physician. Yes, they all graduated medical school and are doctors, but does that mean you want a podiatrist to do your brain surgery?

Same thing for many fields of law. Can somebody be good at several fields? I suppose. Would a person gain a greater level of expertise by only handling one type of case consistently? Makes sense. That person who focuses on one field also would (you hope) stay up on changes in the law more than a person who dabbles.

5. Alan D. Walton

Pro

6

1

Answered . I disagree with co-counsel here. You are looking for an attorney, but you have not said why. Just as in the medical field, where your first stop may be with a general practice medical doctor, your first attorney may well be a general practitioner. This attorney likely has a broad range of knowledge and will recognize when you need more expertise in certain areas, and make the appropriate referrals. You need a competent assessment before you are directed to a specialist.