Is it allowed for me to have a baby in USA when I travel there on a valid US b2 visa? I do not like doctor skill level here.

Yatahey, NM |
Filed under: B-2 tourist visa

Currently living and working in Saudi Arabia.

Have a US B2 Visa.

Have travelled to USA last year for a visit and liked the medical infrastructure there.

It depends on how 'far along' you are. Some airlines and/or immigration agents won't let pregnant women in.

Also, if you like the US medical system great ..... be prepared to PAY THE FULL COST.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.

Paying for the higher maternity cost is fine. But on what basis can an immigration officer stop me? Is it illegal for me to come there under a B2 visa and have a baby there? Generally how 'far long' do you have to be before the immigration officer can stop you? Under what law / provision? I have no criminal intent here , this is just a medical preference for me. The doctors here and not very qualified.

F. J. Capriotti III

F. J. Capriotti III

Yes, it is 'illegal' to come to the US with a B-2 (TOURIST) visa with the intention of coming to deliver a baby ... who will be a US citizen and can file papers to sponsor you in 21 years. If your medical situation is 'unique' your doctor back home can write you a letter and you can get your B visa endorsed for medical treatment. There is no specific number for 'far along' you should talk to your doctor. Nor is there a specific law ... the officer at the border is given wide discretion in determining whether or not you have genuine non-immigrant ---- tourist .... intent.

Thank you for your views. How is the B2 visa endorsed for medical treatment?

F. J. Capriotti III

F. J. Capriotti III

You go to the US Consul and they make a computer entry. You also carry papers showing your medical need, and arrangements for payment with you when you enter the US.

I concur with Mr. Capriotti. the lenght of your stay is determinant. Please check also if you need a visa based on your citizenship. I would strongly recommend to buy a travel and health insurances that cover as much as possible. You may be required to anticipated the expenses so that you will be reimbursed only presenting paid invoices. Best.

This reply is offered for educational purpose only. You should seek the advice of an attorney. The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than an educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the undisclosed individual asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of New York. Responses are based solely on New York Law unless stated otherwise. Pursuant to Internal Revenue Service guidance, be advised that any federal tax advice contained in this written or electronic communication is not intended or written to be used and it cannot be used by any person or entity for the purpose of (i) avoiding any tax penalties that may be imposed by the Internal Revenue Service or any other U.S. Federal taxing authority or agency or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.

There should be no problem if you can pay the medical bill. The immigration inspector at the port of entry may or may not want some evidence of your ability to pay.

There is nothing to prevent you having a baby in the US. However, don't overstay the visa and time your visit carefully.

I agree with my colleagues.

The information on this website is not intended to be legal advice.