Is it agaist the law for someone to use your last name on hosipal bill to start

Asked over 2 years ago - Flowery Branch, GA

got a bill in the mail from hosipal with someone elses first name but my last name

1. Gordon R. Leech

3

Answered . If someone fraudulently obtained services using your name or identity, then it would be a violation of the criminal laws--fraud, and possible other provisions that specifically address identity theft. Your description though may also be attributable to a billing error in the hospital's billing department. Perhaps a call to the hospital will help clear this up. Most people will find someone else with a similar name, sometimes an exact match, in their local vicinity, so the billing department could have mixed you up. If not, then you should immediately notify the hospital and probably the police department of the fraud. You may also want to check your credit reports for any fraud accounts and alert them that you are the victim of identity theft. The Federal Trade Commission has an excellent set of materials for victims of identity theft. I have provided a link to that information below. I recommend that you review it if you believe identity theft has occured.

2. Thomas Ray Breeden

2

Answered . You should check your credit report to see if this is showing up on Equifax, Experian, Trans Union or Innovis. If it is, dispute it with the credit bureaus, and attach a fraud affidavit and handwriting exemplars. If they do not remove it, you may be able to sue the credit bureaus for violating the Fair Credit Reporting Act.

You should contact a local attorney who handles consumer credit matters. Good luck.

3. Jesse E. Barrow III

Answered . Yes. criminal law. but you probably don't want to go that route. civil would be a better way to get your money back. checks come slow from the jail. On the other hand if you have not yet paid a criminall report might make the hospitals debt collectors take notice.