Is it against the law to hitchhike with your child?

Asked 8 months ago - Portland, OR

I plan on traveling to another state and may have to hitchhike through some points. Are there laws stating it's illegal even if we have a tent and supplies/food etc...? And yes I do have custody with no restrictions on where we can go and are not homeless.

1. Jay Bodzin

Answered . In Oregon, it's against the law to hitchhike even without your child. See ORS 814.080.

Specifically, what's illegal is standing on a roadway for the purposes of soliciting a ride. Getting rides from strangers, from the internet or whatever, is not illegal, it's just being on the road to solicit rides that's prohibited. So if you want to take a camping trip with your child, arrange your rides in advance.

(Note that this applies to Oregon law. If you're going through other states, their laws would apply while you're there.)

Please read the following notice: