Is it against the law in Virginia to cut down a Dogwood tree

Asked about 4 years ago - Madison, VA

The Dogwod tree is the stae of Virginia official tree. Is it protected by law from being cut down

1. Mitchell Paul Goldstein

Answered . It is the state flower and tree, but it is not a protected species. You can cut it down if it is on your property.

[This communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.]

2. Paul Stephen Johnson

Answered . I am not admitted in Virginia, and can only give general advice. Generally, it is not legal to cut down plants without the permission of the owner of the land. However, a governmental agency may have the right to do so for health and safety reasons. Dogwoods (cornus florida) are not considered endangered plants by the Federal government, although I am not sure about the status in Virginia. I know that in New York they are fairly common trees.