Is it against the law in michigan for a step parent to spank a step child?

Asked over 2 years ago - Byron Center, MI

My ex wife's new husband is spanking my 12 year old daughter. He has been doing so since they started dating 4 years ago. I don't want him to touch my daughter out of anger at all. What can I do?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Michael J. Olson

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . It is against the law for anyone to spank a child if it rises to the level of assaultive behavior. If you believe that your child is being assaulted then you should call CPS or the police. If you do nto believe that the spanking rises to the level of criminal behavior or child abuse you should file a motion with the Court to restrict the step-father's contact with the child. The Court might wonder why this has been going on for 4 years without you taking any action so you should be prepared to explain that. Get a good lawyer and discuss your options.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,673 answers this week

3,259 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,673 answers this week

3,259 attorneys answering