Skip to main content

Is it against my right of free speech?

Bedford Park, IL |
Filed under: Civil rights

I got banned from US Cellulars Facebook page for speaking against the sale to Sprint. It's a public forum so even if my comments are negative, I think they should be allowed.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Best answer

    Facebook is not actually a public forum. It is a private web service. No action taken by a private person or company (i.e. Facebook) can violate the First Amendment. The First Amendment restricts actions by the government.

    Law Office of Mary K. Neal | || 773-681-1335 This answer is intended as public information about a legal topic. Answers posted here do not create an attorney-client relationship. For specific legal advice, please make an appointment to speak with an attorney in private.

  2. Facebook does not permit hate speech, but distinguishes between serious and humorous speech. While Facebook encourage you to challenge ideas, institutions, events, and practices, it does not permit individuals or groups to attack others based on their race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability or medical condition.

  3. Check the terms of use for the website (the terms of use you agreed to) they will be controlling as to what is and is not allowed and what the owner of the site can and cannot do with posts it does not like.

    NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this matter.

  4. Hello. No, probably not. Your presence on a facebook page is not constitutionally guaranteed.

    My comments are for informational purposes only. I am only licensed to practice law in the State of Illinois. I urge you to obtain legal representation in the State of your residence, if your question pertains to a legal issue outside of the State of Illinois. Even if you are a resident of Illinois this notification serves as a disclaimer with regard to statements made by me. I am not your attorney and as a public service, only,I have commented and given my opinion on the question posed by you on this web site. You should seek formal representation from an attorney of your choice prior to taking action on your matter and you should take the time to meet with that attorney and enter into a formal retainer with him or her if you want them to represent you in your particular legal matter. My comments here are based upon the limited facts that I have been provided with in this online communication forum and you should not rely on my comments as if I am your attorney, but should seek independent counsel to discuss your case.

Civil rights topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics