Is it a violation of Pennsylvania OR federal law to be registered to vote in two different states? If so, which law is violated?

Salt Lake City, UT |
Filed under: Federal crime

I was registered to voted in PA. A year ago I moved to UT. I recently received a letter from PA (which was forwarded to my UT address) asking if I had moved because PA received information from the USPS that I had. The letter said if I did, I needed to let PA know.

So I called PA today and told them I had indeed moved. They told me that wasn't good enough; I needed to send in a letter (and thus pay for a stamp). I told them my phone call was all they would get from me. They told me I was violating federal law by being registered in two places--even if I only voted in one.

Of course, I never have nor would I ever vote in two places; I know that clearly would be illegal. But I don't want to waste a stamp mailing in a letter unless it's actually illegal just to be registered in two states.

Most federal voting violations are found in 42 USC Section 1973I, including the misrepresentation of information to register and voting more than once. While I certainly do not believe that you will be prosecuted under these facts (based on your intending NOT to be registered in both states), it is worth the stamp to resolve the matter with finality.

Joshua Sabert Lowther, Esq.
NATIONAL FEDERAL DEFENSE GROUP
jlowther@nationalfederaldefense.com
http://www.NationalFederalDefense.com
866.380.1782

I appreciate your response. I realize it that paying the stamp to resolve the matter is probably the most logical thing to do, however, my question wasn't "What should I do?" My question was, "Is it a violation of Pennsylvania or federal law to be registered to vote in two different states?" If no, then out of principle I am NOT going to mail in the letter. If the answer is yes, then I would like to know "which law [i.e, specially which statute, regulation, etc.] is violated?" I hope my response doesn't come across as rude; I realize it sounds that way in writing, but I do not intend it that way and cannot think of a nicer way to word it. I simply cannot find any federal or Pennsylvania laws are violated just by being registered to vote in two states, so I'm looking for confirmation that I am correct. Thank you.

You may want to send the letter just to end it, but as Mr. Lowther notes, it is unlikely you would be prosecuted unless you actually voted in both states.

This response does not create an attorney client relationship and is offered for informational purposes only. Only a lawyer fully versed on the facts and circumstances of your case can properly advise you on the case. I am licensed to practice in Minnesota, not every state. You should always consult with an attorney licensed in your area on how best to proceed.

Federal crime topics