Is it a violation of Pennsylvania OR federal law to be registered to vote in two different states? If so, which law is violated?

Asked about 2 years ago - Salt Lake City, UT

I was registered to voted in PA. A year ago I moved to UT. I recently received a letter from PA (which was forwarded to my UT address) asking if I had moved because PA received information from the USPS that I had. The letter said if I did, I needed to let PA know.

So I called PA today and told them I had indeed moved. They told me that wasn't good enough; I needed to send in a letter (and thus pay for a stamp). I told them my phone call was all they would get from me. They told me I was violating federal law by being registered in two places--even if I only voted in one.

Of course, I never have nor would I ever vote in two places; I know that clearly would be illegal. But I don't want to waste a stamp mailing in a letter unless it's actually illegal just to be registered in two states.

1. Joshua Sabert Lowther

Pro

2

Answered . Most federal voting violations are found in 42 USC Section 1973I, including the misrepresentation of information to register and voting more than once. While I certainly do not believe that you will be prosecuted under these facts (based on your intending NOT to be registered in both states), it is worth the stamp to resolve the matter with finality.

Joshua Sabert Lowther, Esq.
    NATIONAL FEDERAL DEFENSE GROUP
    jlowther@nationalfederaldefense.com
    http://www.NationalFederalDefense.com
    866.380.1782

2. John Leif Fossum

Answered . You may want to send the letter just to end it, but as Mr. Lowther notes, it is unlikely you would be prosecuted unless you actually voted in both states.