Is it a violation of my parole if i get put on probation due to an old charge that happen befor my parole in ga?

Asked over 2 years ago - Atlanta, GA

i was locked up for a bag a weed in one county thats what im on probation for.i did 1 year in ga state prison was suppose to go to court while locked for the weed it never happen.i was released on 1 year parole for other charges and got a court date for the weed charge i pled guilty they put me on 6 months probation.

1. Jessica Katherine Stern

Best Answer

Answered . That is correct. The law is similar in Georgia. The judge tells you during sentencing, that any commission of a new offense is a violation of your probation. That is a condition that is placed on you from that date of sentencing. If you are ultimately convicted for an act that occurred before you were sentenced to probation, it cannot be used as a basis to revoke your probation.

2. Craig S Orent

Pro

1

1

Answered . I don't practice law in your state, but generally speaking a conviction, during probation, for an offense that was committed before the defendant was placed on probation, is not considered a violation of probation. Though it might be different in GA, I don't imagine it is.