Is it a violation of law to raise one's voice toward children? The description below is hypothetical, but did he commit a crime?

One child is 7 and the other is 12 but about to be 13. Let's say the two children like to watch TV with very high volume the whole night until early the morning because they are in summer vacation. The noise coming from the TV is so loud that it does not let me sleep. The children keep repeating this behavior day after day. One day I tell the children to please lower the volume and they do it, but five minutes after I come back to bed, they raise the volume again. I ask the politely to lower the volume again and they do it, but once again, when I am in bed and trying to sleep, they raise the volume of the TV. At that moment, I am feeling frustrated and I no longer ask politely to lower the volume from the TV but I demand it. A second time I demanded to do it, and they begin to cry for mom.

The children are not his children. He is a tenant and their mother is renting him a room within the house.

A crime? I don't see any crime from what you wrote.

They are not my children. I am only a tenant, and their mom is renting me a room.

No crime here. Speak to their mother. School starts soon!

ANDREW ROBERTS CRIMINAL AND TRAFFIC TICKET DEFENSE ATTORNEY

They are not my children. I am renting a room with another family.

Probably not. If the yelling involved certain types of threats, maybe.

They are not my children. I am a renting room with another family.

No, no and no. There is a limited right, moreover, for parents to discipline their children. Why don't you exercise that right?

They are not my children. I am a tenant renting a room.

The conduct as described in completely legal and normal. It will be a dark day in America when adults are routinely arrested for raising their voice to children. This day could come but it's not here yet.

They are not my children. I am a tenant and their mom is renting me a room within the house.

Vijay Dinakar

Vijay Dinakar

Regardless, your conduct is completely legal.

Child abuse topics