Is it a right or privilege to get a wage increase at work?

Do I have a right for a wage increase? If yes, How often? I've always gotten a wage increase before my work injury. Now I don't know if I will get anything because of that. I obviously haven't been able to perform any better since the injury because I'm under working restrictions. Can my employer deny me a wage increase?

Assuming you are an at will employee and you are already being paid the minimum wage and overtime as required by law, you have no right to a wage increase.

As Mr. Kane indicates, generally no there isn't a right to a wage increase, assuming that you are an at will employee and so long as you are being paid the minimum wage and there isn't a collective bargaining agreement or contract that otherwise applies.

THESE COMMENTS MUST NOT BE CONSIDERED LEGAL ADVICE. Comments made on websites such as Avvo.com are provided for information purposes only, and you should not base a decision to act or refrain from acting based upon this answer. The only way to determine how the law may apply to your particular situation is to consult with an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation. That relationship is established by the execution of a written agreement for legal services. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.

In California, so long as you are being paid the minimum wage for the work that you do, you are not entitled to a wage increase.