Is it a procedural irregularity for the court commissioner to order my ex to see the public defender?

Asked over 1 year ago - Everett, WA

I motioned the court to find my ex in contempt. I provided all necessary evidence to satisfy the elements of contempt and my ex didn't provide a response but showed up to the hearing. The commissioner rescheduled the hearing date for two weeks and ordered her to go see the public defender. I specifically didn't request imprisonment on the paperwork to avoid this outcome. I feel confident on my case, but if my ex does get representation, is there a case to point out that this is an irregularity or some type of bias?

When my ex was served, she texted me a response indicating that she received everything and was glad that I went through all the trouble of filing the motion. It's obviously sarcastic and appears to mock the court order and I think would help demonstrate contempt. However, because I didn't receive this until after service, I am wondering If I can bring this to our rescheduled hearing. Would I need to serve her again?

1. Donald A. Niesen

9

Best Answer

Answered . Relax. This is good news for you. If you asked the court to find your ex-wife in contempt, and the first thing the court commissioner said was: "Hey lady, I am ordering you to go see the public defender." Then I am going to translate that for you: He is in effect saying: "Your ex-husband is right. You are guilty as hell. I am not doing anything on these allegations until you are represented by a lawyer, because I think that when this story is over, you are going to jail, and I do not want you to blame me for taking a legal / procedural wrong turn so that you can later blame me for the fact that you are in jail getting your ass kicked in every day." Do not try to become the enemy of the court commissioner. Focus on your legal adversary, and the court commissioner is not it - your ex-wife is.

2. Constantine D. Buzunis

7

1

Answered . I agree with Attorney Neisen's response!

3. James Gregory Las Cola

7

1

Answered . I concur and truly appreciate Counselor Niesen's translation acumen.

4. Robert Bruce Kopelson

6

1

Answered . Contempt of court is when someone disobeys a court order wilfully. It is "contempt" directed at the court's authority. Thus, while you may not ask for jail, the court has power to impose a sentence. Therefore the commr was correct to refer to public defender. It is a quasi criminal case. A victim in a criminal case doesnt get to have final say so to the judge in sentencing. Victims can usually give input, but it is up to the judge.